lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #11
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 and Torque Spring ??

If you are climbing hills and/or carrying loads,the torque spring makes a big difference in a standard cart and a huge difference in a lifted cart. I have one of each. Check your ramp shoes and replace them if they are worn or cracked- likely on an old buggy such as this. Check the bushing on the inner sheave to make sure it slides smoothly on the shaft, and lube it while you have it apart. Check your belt and replace it if worn too much. Check your motor mounts. Anything binding or worn will reduce your top end speed as the spring will try to keep you from upshifting for more torque.
This is definitely the most cost- effective mod for these carts!
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Installed torque spring this weekend. It does good on low end for pulling but KILLED top end. Spoke to Tom at Cart Parts and he told me these springs are not for 2cycles like my G1.He said I would be beter off to put spacer under old spring,starting with 1/4 " spacer. I will try that this weekend and let you guys know next week,Thanks for imfor. Tom,Jackie
irene.jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Newbylee
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene.jack View Post
Installed torque spring this weekend. It does good on low end for pulling but KILLED top end. Spoke to Tom at Cart Parts and he told me these springs are not for 2cycles like my G1.He said I would be beter off to put spacer under old spring,starting with 1/4 " spacer. I will try that this weekend and let you guys know next week,Thanks for imfor. Tom,Jackie
Thanks for that info Saved me some $$
Just got a reply from Tom at CPP and he does NOT reccomend the spring upgrade on the G1.He added that the machined sheave he sells will improve performance though.
Newbylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK guys,I installed my spacer today.I decided to go with a 3/8 spacer to start with,I also made a 5/8 just in case.The 3/8 works so good at this point Ithink it's all I need.I will try it more in next couple days and let you guys know how it works out.Good low end pulling with top end speed back,so Tom was so righton this deal. thanks Jackie
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I assume you are putting your spacer inside the secondary clutch so it bears directly on the spring? What did you make your spacer out of? Are you also using the spacer that comes with the torque spring (the one meant to replace the snapring on the transmission shaft)?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Newbylee
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Newbylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Made spacer using uhmw material(telfon),but I think you can use 2" metal pipe also. If someone wants to try this let me know your spring od /id and I will cut you one to try,Jackie
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A coupler for 2-1/2" PVC pipe should work for raw materials- hacksaw off whatever amount you need. Approx. ID= 1-3/4" OD= 2-1/8"
irene.jack, are you using the shaft spacer supplied with the torque spring, or the original snapring used to secure the secondary clutch on the shaft?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha