lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Where to start- Newbie with G1

Got tired of just watching and finally got my feet wet. Bought an 81 G1 (I think) at work when we auctioned off some old stuff. I hope to get it running, lift it, paint it, and put it to use hauling stuff (mainly kids) around the farm. It has been setting for about 4 years and everything seems to work but it spins over, wont start. I seem to remember when it was parked that it had gotten very hard to start; had to spin it over very long time before the engine would run. Have plenty of fire, fuel (even tried starter fluid), and spins over fast either direction. Checked compression and it has 30psi, 35psi if squirt some oil in it. The tube from the carb to the air cleaner appears to have been missing for a while so I am guessing the rings are shot. I am comfortable building engine so I intend to tear it down this weekend and check it out. Questions: Is there anything I should check before tear down and what are the basic steps to tear it down and does it need to be removed from the chassis. Thanks in advance for the help- Great Forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1.jpg (40.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg G1Engine.jpg (47.8 KB, 42 views)
DirtDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start- Newbie with G1

Hello and Welcome to BGW
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW!
On a buggy this old, and having sat so long it is probably best to pull the engine and do a total teardown and rebuild. The good part is that these engines are simple to work on and parts are cheap. If you have any experience working on two-stroke engines they are a piece of cake. You might want to consider getting a Yamaha repair manual from one of our sponsors to guide you through the process. You may have to call them. If they can't get it try ebay. Money well spent. They should be able to get you nearly all the parts you need too. Parts listings can be found in a sticky above. If you have any questions, post them here and we can help. Don't be afraid to use the search function and do some research. There is a TON of information on this site, and many of your questions are likely to have been asked already.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

gmb is right, the manuals are a great help. try gmcarts.com ...welcome to the addiction!
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
porterc39
Not Yet Wild

You can probably get by with new piston, rings, boring out the cylinder one size up, and new crank seals. All can be done without removing the engine, but it is just 4 bolts and easier to do once it is pulled. A manual is a must, and should be available in PDF. You will also need a clutch puller to get to the crank seals. I do not post much but if you search my username I have a complete rebuild post for the Yamaha G1. Good luck.
porterc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks so much guys! I have found manuals online but they cost as much as the engine kit. Have not been able to find it in PDF for G1, only G2 and up. Have rebuilt lots of small 4 stroke engines without manual- are there some tricks in the manual that I may need for the 2 stroke? Will check out your post on the engine repair. Thanks again and bear with me as I will have lots of questions.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

What does the clutch puller look like? I have a big gear puller that looks like it would work.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Clutch puller looks like a long threaded bolt. Do a search here in the Yamaha Gas forum- lots of info and pix on this subject. If you attempt to pull the clutch with a gear puller you will probably break the clutch. Use the proper tool.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha