lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
headwrench
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default now what?

just did a complete valve job on my 90 g8 . still smokes like crazy on start-up. replaced valves, guides, guide seals, & all new gaskets of course. what am i missing here. when i removed the head about 2 teaspoons of oil was on top of the piston so i figure oil is getting past the seals, but after valve job it still smokes bad. the smoke kind of goes away after running awhile, so im guessing when it sits for a time oil is getting in the cylinder. question is from where? any help? thanks
headwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: now what?

Is there oil in the air cleaner box?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
headwrench
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

nope. no oil in the box. as a matter of fact, i didnt get far enough in putting back together to even put the box back in. you know, had to fire it up. is it possible that the muffler has a bunch of oil in it? how would i clean that out, if that is the problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

rings are gone?
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

is it possible that the muffler has a bunch of oil in it?
I would run it and see. Get the air box on it so it has vacuum to the rocker cover.

As Saber said the rings may be weak and now the strong valves are pulling oil.
Check the exact amount of oil in crankcase.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Had oil on top of the piston? More likley your oil rings "collapsed or just wore out". You could still have good compression. If I just had a nickle for everytime I've seen this.....wait can I have a dollar for everytime? Good luck with your build. If you need any help, please ask.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ya thats along the lines of what i was thinking dave, new valves, guides and seals, and still oil on the piston= rings
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
ya thats along the lines of what i was thinking dave, new valves, guides and seals, and still oil on the piston= rings
Not sure on that, oil on piston was before re valve.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

This is cool. Tell you what, take a compression reading (strong battery and at wide open throttle and valves set at .004 when cold) should be 150 to 175 lbs. Disassemble the engine and check cylinder bore and ring end gap, then look at the oil rings and expander. I will pay for the new rings and gaskets...if that is not the problem. Sound fair?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
headwrench
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

wouldnt ask for anyone else to pay for the rings, but thanks for the offer. one last question tho, when i pull the cylinder off, do the lifters stay in the block, and do i have to mess with timing in any way? i have never had one of these things apart except for the head. can i pull the jug off without pulling the head? im not to smart when it comes to this thing. it scares the hell out of me! i guess bottom line is, can i pull off the valve cover off, remove the rocker arms. pull out the push rods. remove the bolts holding the cylinder, and pull it off? sorry for the long post. thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha