lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Stilettobob
Not Yet Wild

Default Help! I've Lost Forward but have Reverse

I have a 1980(?) G1 Gas 2 stroke Yamaha. It is an unbelievable work horse that I use throughout the year dragging kids on sleds in the snow or hauling a small trailer with mulch for thwe wife's garden. Anyway, while mulching I lost FWD. When I turn the key and hit the gas....nothing! No starter noise. Just a light click from a relay. but when I put the key in REV it starts and backs up like crazy. If I start the key in rev and as soon as it catches, turn the key to fwd the G1 goes into fwd.

Anyone got the electrical diagram and/or diagnostis foer this machine?

Thanks in advance,

Bob in Charlestown RI
Stilettobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Help! I've Lost Forward but have Reverse

hey bob, look at the sticky posts in red at the top of the yamaha page. there is one titled wiring diagrams. good luck, jim
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like a bad solenoid. You can swap them to check. If you gain forward and lose reverse, you have found your problem. I have heard of people taking the solenoids apart and cleaning the contacts to fix them.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Or bad key switch.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have 84 G1 gas and had/have same broblem. I switched my soleniod and put the next hotter plug in it fixed it for the most part but every now and then it still acts up for a min. or to. If you find out something else is the cause of this please post so I can fix mine 100%. Thanks and good luck...
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Replace or repair the switch key relevant connection which I assume to be loose or broken..
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

On later model solenoids (they lay flat and have 2 large posts at front and rear) an easy test to check wireing up to the solenoids is...There are small black wires (slide on connectors) at the bottom/back of the solenoids, these are the grond wires and should have 12 volts to them all the time. Now there is a light blue (to one solenoid) and a yellow (to the other) these activate the solenoids with 12 volts positive from the key switch and stop switch at the pedal. You should have 12 volts to these wires with the key switch in either forward or reverse and pedal pushed. If you get good readings...solenoid/solenoid's or starter problem. Since you have reverse, I would think the forward solenoid or key switch is your problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha