lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Cholmes
Not Yet Wild

Default Cutting a muffler apart

Where would the best place be to cut apart a muffler? I assume the end but not sure. I am not comfortable with "BBQ" ing the thing as I guess I would still not know what was left inside. I have just bought a G1 from an old guy and it probably has never had anything done to it for years. It starts and runs but does seem a bit sluggish for power. I am not sure if that is old gas, carb, muffler or all three. I have to start somewhere so muffler seems like a good place.
Cholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Cutting a muffler apart

Welcome to BGW!

The BBQ works very well, I would try it first and if you are not happy with the results then cut it open.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Cholmes
Not Yet Wild

by BBQ you mean build a fire and throw it in there?
Cholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholmes View Post
I am not sure if that is old gas, carb, muffler or all three. I have to start somewhere so muffler seems like a good place.
I would try fresh gasoline, sparkplug, and some carb cleaner before burning up the muffler, but I'm a sparky guy.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

i agree with the fresh gasoline, oil, plugs and filter (oil and air). also, i'd check your valve lashing.

if it does run, and there is junk in the muffler, just take it for a long haul. you don't need to actually BBQ it, if you can get it to run. when you take it for a long trip, you actually get the muffler hot enough to burn the insides well enough. it's all the short trips that allow the junk to build up.
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is a 2-stroke engine, so no crankcase oil,oil filter or valves to adjust. I agree, start with the simple things- tuneup, fresh gas, then try cleaning the carb. Check your drive belt. Is it old, worn and cracked? Replace it. What has he been putting in the oil injection tank? If there is 4-stroke (car engine) oil or outboard motor oil in there, dump it out and put in good, 2-stroke AIR-COOLED engine oil. Cover the basics first.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

oops - didn't see the 2 stroke part (not familiar with this model)

sorry.

at any rate, give it a good long ride to get the muffler scorchin hot
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha