lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Wjackson11x
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '07 PDS Cart--What Drivetrain upgrades for offroad

I recently purchased an '07 PDS cart with 2010 Trojan T125 batteries with 4guage wires. I put a 5" lift with 22" tires. What is the best thing to do to keep the motor/controller from burning up. Should i look into upgrading the controller or the motor? Cart is being used mostly for hunting, getting to stand and back. Don't care about speed, just want it to do the job. I know the PDS carts aren't the ideal cart for what I'm using it for, but I got a good deal on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lifted Golf Cart 002.jpg (203.4 KB, 13 views)
Wjackson11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '07 PDS Cart--What Drivetrain upgrades for offroad

I'm not sure, but i'm a little interested in this also, since this is what I am doing with mine.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Wjackson11x
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

How's the Herculiner holding up? I'm seriously thinking about doing it to mine, I've already got the kit.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well the best upgrade would be a 500 amp alltrax DCX and a Plumquick or other motor. You could see up to 60-70% torque increase, and keep the speed down to Series levels.
You could also go with just a 400 amp DCX but eventually the motor is gonna be the weakest link. Don't forget to upgrade the solenoid and resistor and diode to at least a 200 amp or even 400 amp. Also if you plan to increase to 48 you would need the 48 volt versions to do it correctly but there are workarounds for the 36 volt S, R, D.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjackson11x View Post
How's the Herculiner holding up? I'm seriously thinking about doing it to mine, I've already got the kit.

It's holding up great, it couldn't be stronger, nor has it shown any signs of fading yet. I am in the same boat as you (got a deal too good to pass up). I have a speed chip in mine now, and it goes good. It struggles a little on some of the steeper hills and ditches I've went through, but I don't know how hot the controller is getting. When I take it out hunting, I'm just going to put the steep hill chip back in it, that should help out. I'm not going to start upgrading and replacing motors/controllers etc... until I burn mine up probably. I have a four wheeler, so for what little hunting use my cart will see (going to stand, driving across field dove hunting), I'm just going to stick with stock plus the steep hill chip. It may come back to bite me in the *** later, but this is my first cart, so I don't want to drop a lot of money in it. If something goes, then I will probably replace it and sell it to trade up to a 48v or gas cart when I get a little more experience with them.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Change the controller out to 400DCX as suggested and 200/800amp solenoid and 4g cables between the batteries and control. You should be okay if you do not creep around or stall it against a hill or anything.

As for hunting with stock controller and big tires, it is just a matter of time before the cart leaves you somewhere

Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You would be better off removing the chip all together. That is the all-terrain mode and turns off the compression breaking. The chip does not provide any more torque it just limits the speed and adds the breaking. That breaking is what will add heat to the motor and shorten its life.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Wjackson11x
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
You would be better off removing the chip all together. That is the all-terrain mode and turns off the compression breaking. The chip does not provide any more torque it just limits the speed and adds the breaking. That breaking is what will add heat to the motor and shorten its life.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that it just added braking. So the "chips" don't add any performance or torque?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No he was referring to all terrain mode or golf as some call it ... the other chips add speed by sacrificing torque.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Wjackson11x
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So it would be best to run it in all-terrain mode vs the mild hill?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO