lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
bhterrell
Not Yet Wild

Default Change 1996 Powerwise Plug to Marathon SB50

I need to convert a 1996 Powerwise 36v charger connector to work with my 36v 1988 Marathon which has an SB50 socket. I have an SB50 connector, but don't know how to hook it up to the Powerwise cable. What do I do with the red wire? Any other tricks I need to perform on the inside of the Powerwise charger to work with my Marathon?

Also, do I just leave the Powerwise charger plugged in all the time and just plug and unplug the golf cart with it live?

And, can I just leave the Powerwise hooked up to the cart all the time (except when I am using it, naturally)? Will it maintain a charge over the weeks when I am traveling or on vacation without unplugging and replugging into the cart?

Thanks for the help. Bill
bhterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Change 1996 Powerwise Plug to Marathon SB50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhterrell View Post
I need to convert a 1996 Powerwise 36v charger connector to work with my 36v 1988 Marathon which has an SB50 socket. I have an SB50 connector, but don't know how to hook it up to the Powerwise cable. What do I do with the red wire? Any other tricks I need to perform on the inside of the Powerwise charger to work with my Marathon?

Also, do I just leave the Powerwise charger plugged in all the time and just plug and unplug the golf cart with it live?

And, can I just leave the Powerwise hooked up to the cart all the time (except when I am using it, naturally)? Will it maintain a charge over the weeks when I am traveling or on vacation without unplugging and replugging into the cart?

Thanks for the help. Bill
When converting a TXT cart to a Marathon charger you will need to connect the small red wire at the rear of the TXT receptacle to the battery main positive or the cart will not run.

Neither charger the powerwise or the older total charge have any maintenance capability.

Doth must be disconnected from the power source and replugged to re start.

It does not matter which plug, AC or DC, you disconnect first assuming the charger is off when you do disconnect.

I prefer to connect DC first and wait to hear the relay in the charger click, then connect the AC.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
bhterrell
Not Yet Wild

Scotty, thanks for the quick response. I'm having a bit of a problem understanding.

I have a 1988 36v Marathon cart and my old charger quit. I bought a Powerwise/Textron 36v charger (it's actually a 1994, I thought it was a 1996). It has a "D" type Powerwise plug that I need to change out to an SB50 type plug to fit my Marathon cart.

So, do I just permanently connect the small red wire in the Powerwise cable to the positive pin in the new SB50 connector that I am attaching to that cable? So that when this SB50 on the cable is plugged into the cart, the Powerwise sees the positive 36v from the batteries and throws its internal relay? Is this correct?

If I do that, then probably the correct connect/disconnect sequence is to:
1) With AC to the Powerwise unpugged, insert the SB50 connector on the cable into the golf cart, at which time I will hear the relay in the Powerwise click.
2) Plug the Powerwise into AC and allow the batteries to charge.
3) Then to disconnect the Powerwise from the cart -- I would unplug the AC to the Powerwise, then unplug the SB50 connector from the cart.

Is this correct?

And the Powerwise should be disconnected from AC and the cart after the batteries have come to full charge (maybe 12 hours), right?

Thanks again. Sorry to be so much trouble. Bill
bhterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Kevgrn114
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have this same question.. any answers for older sb50 cart and newer powerwise charger?
Kevgrn114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
1986EZgo
Not Yet Wild

2 me
1986EZgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerwise, sb50
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO