lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #21
trevinom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: how to figure amp draw

Yea, I was about to ask you guys that.
The guy is selling a charger for it and a gauge to check on output.

My question was like you asked, will I have to upgrade my controller, or is this a straight switch?

My cart has the stock controller in it.

It's a 2001 club cart.
trevinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #22
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This can set your garage on fire if you carelessly do this. Please crunch the numbers before you buy. It's not for the faint of heart to do correctly. Doing it wrong could do far worse than leave you walking home for exhausted batteries that didn't make the trip.
What he said, only louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinom View Post
Yea, I was about to ask you guys that.
The guy is selling a charger for it and a gauge to check on output.

My question was like you asked, will I have to upgrade my controller, or is this a straight switch?

My cart has the stock controller in it.

It's a 2001 club cart.
I would suggest reading through this thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...-exploded.html
Not trying to scare anyone away. Just showing this is a real concern when doing this type of thing. There is a lot of great information shared in this thread and will get you a good start in making decisions as to what all is needed to have a safe system.

I would also suggest deciding on what BMS system you want to use before buying your charger, wish I had.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #23
trevinom
Not Yet Wild

So i went ahead and pulled the trigger.
I got the 66 Ah one. I did a straight swap.
The lithium module took up the same space and weight as 1 battery. I used the existing tie-downs to hold it in place.
I kept 2 6-volt batteries and hooked them up in series to get me 12 volts for my lights and usb charger.
I took it for a spin.
Doing max speed (12 mph or so) it covered .85 miles and went from 96% to 88%. I extrapolated about 1 mile per 10%, but thats open throttle. I would have been able to do my golf courses’ 6 miles with 40% charge left. Im hoping doing it in spurts in a span of 4 hours will extend it. Ill report back this afternoon.
Also, it only takes 3 or so hours to charge the battery to 100% so not planning to leave it plugged in overnight even though the charger is supposed to cut off by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #24
trevinom
Not Yet Wild

So, just got back from a round of golf. It went down to 88% by the third hole.
Weirdly enough, it stayed in the 80's for first 6 or so holes. During acceleration, it goes 10-12%, but comes back up when I stop. It didn't go below 70% until 17th hole or so, during acceleration.
Got done with the round and it's at 75%. At that rate, I feel I could have done 3 rounds of golf.

I would have been fine with the 45 Ah pack no problem.

This ended up being a good decision. No more having to water the freaking batteries. It only takes 3 hours for a full charge. And it feels alot more spry and I'm hoping I don't have to worry about batteries again for a few years.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #25
trevinom
Not Yet Wild

Interesting thing i noticed. It seems that after you stop, It regenerates lost life. It was down to 75% when I put it in the garage and when i went in there an hour later, it had gone up to 82%, and i haven’t plugged it in.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #26
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinom View Post
This ended up being a good decision. No more having to water the freaking batteries. It only takes 3 hours for a full charge. And it feels alot more spry and I'm hoping I don't have to worry about batteries again for a few years.
What are you charging them to? What batteries specifically did you end up getting? If I had to guess, I would say Nissan Leaf? What are you using for HV/LV cutoff? Are you using a BMS?

I like seeing what folks use and learn for possible future builds.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #27
trevinom
Not Yet Wild

They are chevy volt batteries. Charging them to 100% capacity with 15 amp charger.
BMS, we dint need no stinking bms.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wow
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #29
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Wow
Double wow.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Trevinom, by wow, and double wow, these guys are trying to tell you that they don’t agree with what you’re doing. Charging to 100% and not having a bms. There’s a guy on here somewhere that bottom balances, then runs without a bms, but I think he’s pretty knowledgeable about what he’s doing, and he monitors the cells. I don’t know if you are, or aren’t, but you should be aware of the risks.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO