lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
etech
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Precedent Steering Wheel Removal

Hi all,

A while back, I decided to purchase and install a custom steering wheel on our Precedent. The wife asked if I thought it would be any problem to install. "No problem", I said confidently. Yikes, I never realized it was going to be worse than pulling teeth.

I got my first inkling about what I might be in for after reading a half dozen threads about Club Car steering wheel removal.

Undaunted, I proceeded to try the following methods:
  • I removed the bolt and thoroughly soaked the wheel/column with Kroils for days. It is one of the best penetrating lubricants available. I then re-installed the bolt and tapped the bolt head with a 2 x 4 and a four pound sledge hammer more times than I care to mention. No joy!
  • On to plan B. I placed my feet on the dash and pushed upward on the back of the wheel with my knees while rapping on the center bolt from the front side with the hammer. Nope, not going to release!
  • Not willing to admit defeat, on to plan C. I backed the cart up to a shade tree in the backyard. I wrapped two ratcheted tie down straps around the wheel and looped them around the tree pulling in a straight line with the steering column. I tightened both ratchets until the plastic on the steering wheel began to deform. "Tight enough", I said. I rapped on the center bolt and the rear of the steering wheel with the sledge hammer so many times I couldn't count. Still that **##**## wheel would not release.

OK, so what now? I did some searching on Google and read about using a bearing separator to remove this type of steering wheel. I looked for a bearing separator kit, but they were a little pricey for my tastes, until I found this kit at J.C. Whitney.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...1604c21443u0j1

Geeze, only $23 and they had a free shipping offer going on at the time! So, I figured why not! Since it is a bearing separator/gear puller/ wheel puller kit, I thought I could probably get some more use out of it on another job. I had already spent the money on the new custom wheel and that old wheel was coming off, even if I had to cut it off with a Sawzall!

So I bought it. Here is a pic of the kit. I don't believe it is a mechanics grade tool, but it certainly would be good enough for the backyard handyman.

I installed the puller as shown in this pic. It was necessary to drill two 1/2 inch holes in the rear of the wheel.

I snugged the bearing puller halfs up tight against the rear of the wheel and tightened the bolts. I re-installed the center bolt and screwed it in until about an 1/8 inch gap was showing. Here is another pic.

I tightened the puller center bolt and tapped the rear of the wheel and the puller center bolt a few times, but this time with a rubber mallet. Since the wheel did not release, I tightened the puller one more turn. Sure enough! I heard a pop and the wheel was loose. It was that easy. The whole job took about 15 minutes with the proper tool. Here is another pic.

After what I have been through, that was the best 23 bucks I ever spent. Good luck with removing your wheel and I hope this info helps someone.

Best regards,

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Steering Wheel Removal

I feel your pain Ed. Those steering wheels require an act of god to shift for the most part.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

all you needd was a bfh! if it didnt work with that....blowtorch! a little heat never hurt anything!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
all you needd was a bfh! if it didnt work with that....blowtorch! a little heat never hurt anything!
Yes, I used a bfh - 4 pound sledge - multiple times. Sometimes they just don't give up.

Anyway, my only reason for posting this thread was to possibly help others by showing that you can waste lots of time and energy trying to remove these steering wheels by various brute force methods, or ---- you can buy the right tool for $23 and have the job done in 15 minutes!

Not only that but the bearing seperator/gear puller/ wheel puller kit can be used for lots of other jobs at a later time. A good investment, I think!

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
dcmsgf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi Etech,
Thanks for the info on the CC steering Wheel Removal but I can't locate the tool on JCW's web site. Would you have their part number by chance. Hope it has not been discontinued.
dcmsgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car