lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
lococummins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Performance thread

Some/most RXV carts came with a Curtis controller. I have been told that if you have or know someone who has a master curtis handheld, you should be able to reprogram the controller. However, I have a Kollmorgen ACD controller on my cart and have no hope or way to try the curtis option without purchasing a new controller.

I do believe that I could take a curtis controller and replace the ACD. When ordered, I believe the company you purchase from should be able to program to your liking BUT, there is no way to know how the motor would handle it.

I really think the braking system will cause the biggest road block!
lococummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
trbizwiz
Not Yet Wild

I am guessing the stock controller at 235 amps is the weak link in torque. You would probably need a higher amp controller. Though that would probably test the limits of the 4.4 hp motor.
trbizwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
lococummins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The hp should be the top end of the RPM range...I wonder what the torque is?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most of the guys I talked to thought the first weak link to the system was the controller, but they also stated it was more complicated as they also have to convert DC to AC. Then the they thought it would also lead to a motor replacement.

2- of the dealers quoted $1500 for a controller and motor replacement, but I didn't get into the details. Not ready to chase it at this time.
MiltonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococummins View Post
Some/most RXV carts came with a Curtis controller. I have been told that if you have or know someone who has a master curtis handheld, you should be able to reprogram the controller. However, I have a Kollmorgen ACD controller on my cart and have no hope or way to try the curtis option without purchasing a new controller.

I do believe that I could take a curtis controller and replace the ACD. When ordered, I believe the company you purchase from should be able to program to your liking BUT, there is no way to know how the motor would handle it.

I really think the braking system will cause the biggest road block!
Loco, they seemed to think that the Curtis and the ACD controllers are not enterchangeable. The wiring is different, or so they thought. According to the guys I talked to the Curtis are only installed in the late models.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggity View Post
I want to lift my RXV, but dont want to affect low end torque to much. I have even considered using a 3" lift and 20" tires, but like the look of 6" lift and 22" tires. Somebody give me some opinions. Thanks.
Buggity,

I have 12" X 23s and the only time I have torque problems is when I try to climb curbs or rocks. Then only from a dead stop with them against the rear wheels. Other than that no problems. I can stop on a steep hill with 4 persons onboard and the cart will take off right up the hill. Once it is rolling it seems to have all the torque required.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Buggity
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Milton, that's kinda what I figured. But, I wanted to be sure before I spent the money.
Buggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I would like to know what the parts are that cost $1500. I have not heard of a fix.
Two of the dealers mentioned changing the controller to a Curtis, and changing the motor. $1500 in parts. Like I said, I didn't chase the details as it is more than I am interested in spending at the present time. I didn't get the feeling that it was a firm number, or that they were routinely doing the upgrade. Only furnishing a ballpark number during the conversation. They did however understand the problem and it was obviously not the first time they had heard the question.

I am having the stock controller upgraded to Freedom II programing this week and will post the results.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My cart is at the Dealer having the upgrade. Hope to have it back tomorrow and I will update the results of the "Freedom II" upgrade.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
lococummins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonC View Post
My cart is at the Dealer having the upgrade. Hope to have it back tomorrow and I will update the results of the "Freedom II" upgrade.
I am pretty sure freedom II is what I have currently as I can run 25-26 on flat ground with the 23" tires. I am interested to hear your results though.

JB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO