lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 Medalist Speed Controller Problem

I have never seen anyone post a picture of a controller that looks like that. The big boys are going to have to step in here. There appears to have been a certain amount of heat to make the plastic warp as it has. The heat appears to have only come from the controller itself.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The industry has stopped using the 4 blade controller and the plug braking associated with it because they tend to dump large amounts of amperage ( equals heat) into the control and as we know heat is a electronic device's worst enemy.... see, look your controller is a 4 blade (with plug braking) and it's melted...... Do you shift directions before you stop?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your cart will need a new controller, but unless you get a stock 275 amp unit, you will need to upgrade the rest of the amperage delivery system as well. That includes the solenoid and all 13 cables plus the F&R. Amperage going from the batteries to the motor goes through all these components. If one component is too small it will create a bottleneck or resistance to the flow. This resistance will result in heat and the problem will reappear in the F&R or the cable ends until everything is capable of handling the amperage which is flowing to the motor.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

I went to a business in the Memphis, Tennessee area that services golf carts. I met the nicest young man (I am 65 and he was about 20+) who assisted me. He works on all makes and models of carts and stated that this is only the second four terminal EZGO controller he has seen in his career. He attempted to locate a replacement controller in a very thick parts book but was unable to find a Curtis controller (he said that was the brand I have) with four terminals like mine. He was so nice to make a couple of calls to others in the industry who have assisted him in the past. He spoke with two persons and is waiting on two others to return his call. He was able to verify that the 1995 Medalist was produced with a four terminal controller like I have. He obtained (from one of his phone contacts) the schematic diagram for the wiring on the 1995 Medalist and it did reveal the four terminals on the controller numbered just as my controller is numbered. He explained the wiring diagram to me and did so in such a way where even I understood what he way saying. He will wait to hear from his other contacts and will get back with me about the replacement for my warped controller (my cart still runs with it - it just shuts off after it travels a way and you have to wait on it to cool). It was indeed gratifying to find such a young man so willing to be of service to a customer. I know where I am going back to the next time. I came away today knowing there is at least some fine young men in his generation who want to work, are good at what they do, take pride in their work,and know how to treat customers. I look forward to any other comments others might have - especially sine I have posted my photos.
jwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, you can use a standard 3 blade controller. Is it the A+ and S+ that get attached to the same blade? I can't remember. You will lose plug brake capability but it isn't that bad not having it.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The schematic shows a long cable from the A2 terminal on the controller to the C terminal on the F/R switch and another long cable from the A2 terminal on the motor to the C terminal on the F/R switch, but I believe EZGO ran a short cable from A2 on the motor to A2 on the controller and a short cable from A2 on the controller to C on the F/R switch.
That is electrically the same and saves several feet of heavy gauge cable.

If either cable isn't long enough to go from A2 on motor to C on F/R switch, bolt the Two cable ends that were originally connected to A2 on the controller together, insulated the connection and secure it so it doesn't touch anything.

Or buy (or construct) and longer cable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do not get another 4 blade controller.. the plug braking feature is what caused your controller to melt down, get the 3 blade replacement as Johnnie mentioned.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Jwarren, these guys speak the truth. I am expecially happy to hear you found a service center worthy of trust. Even though you shouldn't post to get them business, I believe it is acceptable to post there name. I also agree with you that we still have many fine young people who still do all the right things.

You may have been asking questions he had answers too or wanted to answer. He might not know, or be permitted to suggest switching your controller to an alternate type. I would trust what JohnnieB and ScottyB say as gospel, plus it will probably be cheaper.

Continue asking questions if you need.

Best Regards
Shon
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

To all of you out there who assisted me - thank you - maybe I have found the problem. I obtained another controller identical to mine (4 terminals) which was still in a discarded 94-95 Medalist placed in the woods as junk at a local golf club (unbelievable but true). The owner gave me the controller. I put it in and had the same problem previously described - so my friend said it must be the solenoid. I purchased a new solenoid from EZGO and a new wire to replace the sizzled wire. Their shipping department had it here in two days (regular shipping). We put the new solenoid in and the new wire from the solenoid out terminal to the controller to replace the old wire that had obviously been hot. When we took the old solenoid out, we could smell that it had an odor as if it had burned. We also noticed black smoke residue just below where it was seamed together. The cart is now doing fine - making trips around the farm and not stopping -and I hope I have resolved the problem. Again, thanks for all the help.
jwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Great News JW, you had luck with a "Junk Yard Fix" if we call it that. Glad to hear your running again.

Tags
melting plastic box, speed controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO