lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Microswitches are in the little box that houses the solenoid. I started to try to figure out how to adjust them to work better but gave up and did the key on/200rpm spring deal. Never looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #22
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Low speed problem

It's an "Electrical Components Box", and on 92+ carts, the throttle cable can be adjusted at the box for proper throttle activation.

Here's a pic of a 2001 ECB,
included are 10 amp fuse, Solenoid, Voltage Regulator, 2 micro's, Cam, and Throttle cable:

084.JPG

Here's a pic of Springboks 87 cart showing his ECB:
However I'm not familiar with pre-92's to know what's inside of them,
or if the cable can be adjusted there, or if it'll even help with with the jumpy throttle.

springboks87.jpg

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok. My bad......
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The governor on my cart is completely separate from the electric control box. It consists of a metal rod that runs from the carb butterfly, along the passenger side of the motor, and attaches to a mechanical speed limiter atop the gearbox. It's a really simple setup with no electrical components at all. It's also very easy to modify and/or remove. That's probably why they redesigned it for '92. Anyone with a small crescent wrench can disable the governor by disconnecting it from the mechanical limiter.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Wait... what did I miss?

92+ governors have nothing electrical either!
(just a rod from the GO pedal to the ECB, then a cable with a spring to the governor/transaxle, then a cable to the carb.)

govcarbcable.jpg

As I said before, I'm not familiar with pre-92 carts, BUT...
It sounds like pre-92 carts don't have the throttle cable coming out of the ECB, then off to the carb... Do I have that right?

Just trying to learn something... again!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

No, the throttle cable comes out of the electronic box then drops down low off towards the carb. Spring attachment to some lever that operates something on the carb. (Gee, no wonder I have problems...I'm clueless)
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Throttle cable yes, I was talking about the governor, as in the speed limiter that slows down the motor as the speed reaches a certain mph.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK, I think I found the problem. I'm just hoping someone will confirm it. I removed the air cleaner to check the butterfly on Springbok's recommendation. The butterfly itself is intact, but it sure isn't working properly, based on my understanding. When I press the accelerator, it opens fully. But when I release the peddle, it only closes about halfway (like 45 degrees). This would seem to explain the jerkiness. When the engine is "running", it's at half throttle or so. So, I'm either not running, or running at half throttle. So in my mind, I have no slow speed. I run half open, off, half open, off.

Now, it seems like it's not closing, because of a bad spring. There is a thin spring that wraps around the throttle valve screw on one end, and attaches to some little linkage piece on the other end. This is all right on the very top of the carb body. This spring looks mostly like a limp piece of wire on mine. (who would have thought a spring would only last 25 years!!) It appears that this is the spring that should pull the linkage and force the butterfly closed. (this is the place where you can disagree with me...)

It doesn't appear that this is replaceable, so I think it's time for a new carb. I might try to rig up some hillbilly spring on the linkage somewhere to pull it closed until I get a new carb. Anyone agree or disagree? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #29
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

That sounds like you found your issue. Butterfly not closing all the way makes total sense. Keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

I rigged a spring from the linkage to a bolt that holds the air cleaner bracket. It pulls the linkage so the butterfly closes fully. It's not quite right, because it now won't open fully, but it works well enough to test. I now have a nice low cruising speed without all of the jerkiness. I certainly lost some top end since it doesn't open fully, but it's still fast enough for the area I drive. I'll keep playing with it to find a happy medium while I save my pennies for a new carb.

Springbok, thanks for the help. You certainly got me pointed in the right direction. Once I saw the butterfly wasn't working correctly, it was just a matter of finding the little spring that was all stretched out and not doing it's job.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car