lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
CedzGo
Gone Wild

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions... DCS to PDF Conversion???

The 500a controllers can be used on both 36v and 48v carts, correct?

Thanks...
CedzGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Correct and even if you go to 48v you can still run stock motor.

Still need a 48v charger though....
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedzGo View Post
-----------------
1. Any benefit with upgrading to a HD FNR switch at this time, or can I hold off in case I do a 48v upgrade in the future?

2. Also: If I'm reading correctly, the controller can work with a 36v and a 48v system, correct?

3. JonnieB: So, the stock controllers are the weak point in both DCS and PDS carts, correct?

----------------
1. Series drive carts need HD F/R switches because total motor amps pass through them. Motor amps do not pass through the F/R switch of Sepex drive carts like the DCS and PDS, so there is no need for a heavy duty one and I'm not sure if one even exists.

If the stock F/R switch causes a DCS or PDS cart to move forward and backwards, there is no electrical reason to replace it.

2. Yes. The operating voltage for a DCX controller is 24-48VDC nominal with a Max of 60VDC.
Be aware that the solenoid has an operating voltage range also. The 48V Super-Duty one I have operates from 36-48VDC and I've ran it at 36V and 42V so far.

Check out the #505DCS and #606DCS kits about 2/3 the way down this page: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

3. Personally, for a Sepex drive system, I think it is a three-way tie between Cables, Controller and Solenoid.
(In other words, everything between the battery pack and the motor. )

On the other hand, even if the owner/operator decides to stick with a stock Controller and Solenoid, they still need to replace/upgrade the cables, so that would probably put them at the top of the weakest list.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
CedzGo
Gone Wild

Thanks for all of the great advice. I just left the buggie dealer. Went with the controller replacement. That's all that was needed to get me back on the road while having more room for upgrades down the road.

I'm new to this dealer and yes new to me too. I can tell when/where he's pushing to make a sale. He's running a family operated business, so I can understand where he's coming from. He was straight with me when I opted for the controller replacement instead of the conversion. I'm probably not a typical customer. Being an engineer, I am naturally going to ask more questions than necessary , and if I didn't have so many projects going on at the same time, I'd probably do the work myself.

Regardless of what I ask, I get a straight answer from them. I just have to be able to separate it from the extras. If things continue to go well, I'll continue to support his business.

With the advice I'm getting from him and you all here at BGW, things will work out. I just had to have a thorough understanding before moving forward. I want to build a platform for today and for tomorrow. No need to replace things that can't be built upon later, right?

Thanks team BGW!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedzGo View Post
..............I want to build a platform for today and for tomorrow. No need to replace things that can't be built upon later, right?.............
Decide now what you want the end product to be and build towards that goal.
Design in some wiggle room because wants, needs and desires have a tendency to evolve over time.

If taller tires and/or a rear seat are anticipated, optimize the drive system for the increased loading before increasing the load.

Most of all, enjoy.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Decide now what you want the end product to be and build towards that goal.
Design in some wiggle room because wants, needs and desires have a tendency to evolve over time.

If taller tires and/or a rear seat are anticipated, optimize the drive system for the increased loading before increasing the load.

Most of all, enjoy.
We used to call these Change Orders.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
now we just call it "Keeping up with the Jones"!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
.... and the highlighted words were usually preceded by one or more descriptive words.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Only by elected officials. If I want/need something that ain't in the contract, I owe for that something, and contractors are entitled. But few managers share my "fair" viewpoint.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
CedzGo
Gone Wild

Yeah. Change orders and keeping up with the Jonse's normally makes for a good profit for the store owner. I don't mind supporting local businesses, but I want to stay on track at the same time. Didn't want to completely replace all components of my buggie when I know I'm going to do upgrades in the future. I don't want to do it all at once because I don't want to get bored with the buggie, and want to know what I'm doing, and learn as I go. Therefore, I make sure what I do now can be used for future upgrades.

Research, Learn, Apply, Test, and HAVE FUN with your success.

yurtle: Interesting way of looking at it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO