lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How rugged is the PDS controller?

Thanks again.. You answered all my questions. Yes, I am an electrical engineer and I have experience in motor control design and test. Some controllers will ( in addition to over temp, etc.) also shut down if a maximum current is reached. That is why I asked the question.

bash11
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Golf cart controllers may be more plebeian in design than what you are used to working with.

The series controllers used in EZGO carts are early '80s designs, the sepex controllers are from the mid '90s and the AC controllers were introduced around 2008.

The PDS controller is a second generation sepex controller, adding Under-Volt protection and internalizing all solenoid control functions (making it a "Fly-by-Wire" system) and adding some bell and whistles its DCS predecessor didn't have.

I'm a retired Clinical Engineer and much of my work involved the human body as a signal source, but the same Laws of Physics that apply to the interface between man and machine also apply to golf carts, so the fog eventually cleared.

Of course, like everyone else here, I'm still learning about carts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Thank you again for your answers.

I am looking forward to learning more from this forum -and contributing as I learn more.

bash11

Last edited by bash11; 10-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Some duplication
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With stock size tires, you shouldn't have much to worry about. The stock controller is a lot tougher than most people think. One and a half years ago nearly everybody told me that my 2005 stock controller wouldn't be long for the world with 23" tires and a rear seat. My best guess would be close to 500 miles on the cart with those tires with about 35-40% of those miles being off-road and (knock on wood) I haven't been able to release the magical factory smoke from the controller yet.

When we were at Disney Ft. Wilderness last year, we piled 8 people (a little over 950 lbs) onto the cart several times a day and it handled the load fine. We even use the cart to move a 6' x 12' utility trailer around the yard. Most of our use has been in Freedom mode. My experience so far has been that the stock PDS controller is anything but fragile. I'm not exactly babying it because the sooner it gives up, the sooner I can get a 400 amp replacement for it!

As for being able to select the modes with a switch, it works very well. I have a switch to select between Freedom and Mild Hill modes that I rigged up myself, but there is a guy on ebay that sells a setup to be able to switch between all 4 modes without removing the controller cover. I thought about it, but Freedom and Mild Hill meet my needs just fine.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
I haven't been able to release the magical factory smoke from the controller yet.
Come visit my lair. I'll help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sparks.jpg (36.9 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO