lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default DPI Charger - Flashing Power On Light

Does anyone have an idea why the "Power On" light would flash? I have a new DPI charger and this is the third time I used it.

I have a new set of Trojan Ranger 160 batteries and ran the cart good for the first time last night and put it on the charger. Get up this morning and the voltage meter reads 49.7V and the red light is flashing on the charger?

Batteries are too expensive to have them damaged so soon. I hope this is nothing serious.

Any ideas? Reading through the explanation of the different causes in the manual does not ring a bell as what could be wrong. I am not sure where to check first.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DPI Charger - Flashing Power On Light

Do you have a good clean connection at the input to the cart where charger cord is plugged in ?
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Clean?

Now you are touching on the only part of the cart that has not been replaced...

I am at work and will be looking at that tonight but before I get there I am thinking "how do I clean it?" if it is not or clean it any way to rule it out?

The DPI was just purchased so we know that end is clean.

Pardon my ignorance but have not been in this situation before and just want to know what to look for and how to tell if indeed I need to pay attention to that area.

Thank you for your quick response.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Any other opinions? Would like to get a full charge back on the batteries.

This is interesting because the 36V batteries would not go to a full charge with the PowerWise unless I by-passed the relay inside. What is this problem that is haunting me??
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

IIRC, You have a 48V pack using six 8V-204AH Trojan batteries.

A 48V DPI Accusencse charger set to mode-2 (Trojan) should float at about 52.5V, so the charger output is Off rather than float charging if the pack voltage is 49.7V. That isn't good, but it may not be a major problem.

There are three Red LEDs at the bottom of the five LED column. Which LEDs are lit, and which ones are flashing?

----------
I'd spray clean the connections in the cart's charge receptacle and put it on charge again.

When the Yellow LED stays on steady, and/or when both Yellow and Green LEDs are on steady, the charger is in a constant voltage mode and the pack voltage should be about 56.4V.

When Green LED is on steady and Yellow is Off, the charger is in float charge mode and the pack voltage should be about 52.5V.

-----------
The pack is new, so the charge time may have been "Excessive"
What voltage did you take the pack down to when you "ran the cart good for the first time last night and put it on the charger"?

It may be just a one time event, possibly cause be a power surge or brown-out on the AC line feed to the charger.

Like I said, try it again and if it works right, don't worry about it.
On the other hand, if the error reoccurs, it is time to dig into it deeper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (184.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-10.JPG (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-11.JPG (116.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-12.JPG (103.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
Any other opinions? Would like to get a full charge back on the batteries.

This is interesting because the 36V batteries would not go to a full charge with the PowerWise unless I by-passed the relay inside. What is this problem that is haunting me??
The Powerwise shut off at a predetermined voltage that is high enough to almost fully charge most batteries, but not high enough to damage marginal ones. The DPI shuts off when the pack voltage ceases to rise over time, which is the definition of a fully charged battery.

It is not a perfect solution since the batteries are charged in series, but dV/dT (change in voltage over change in time) is about as good as it gets without going to some very complex wiring and great expense. Then when you add float charging to the mix, you end up with the batteries actually being fully charged.

-----

As for the haunting:
It may have been a one-time event, so we may never know what caused it.
However, if it is a recurring event, we can troubleshoot it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB! I will clean them tonight. I do not remember what the voltage was but have it written down at home. I did not go under the SOC minimum that I know.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I feel your pain brother. I have a DPI and have had issues that really had me at wits end with a new pack as well. I got a new circuit board a few weeks ago from the mfg. and its working now. Mine wouldn't start the charging cycle. The 5amp "click".....
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I cleaned the connections on the cart and the plug was still it in when I got home. I unplugged it before I cleaned but when I put it back in later to charge it "seemed" like the plug went in a little farther, nothing to compare to except memory.

Plug her in and waited for the 20 amp rise and went to my monthly LandCruiser club meeting. Came home and it said it was fully charged and in the float mode at 58.6V. That seems high compared to what JohnnieB posted.

Do I have a bad charger or is this normal? I sent ScottyB an E-mail yesterday but no reply.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need the specs for those new Trojan batts -could be normal what mode do you have it to mode 2 ?
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO