lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Maverick18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default accessory battery recommendation?

I'm installing a 2500lb winch, a small LED flood light, and maybe a usb outlet for charging my phone. I have a 2010 RXV 48v. Can you recommend a battery? Thanks
Maverick18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: accessory battery recommendation?

Any deep cycle marine battery around 160 amp / hr should do
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I used a 12 volt sealed deep cycle marine/rv battery with a little waterproof battery tender to keep it charged
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Maverick18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What group size are you using?
Maverick18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Look into wheel chair batteries. They can cost similar amounts to good marine batteries and are designed to be used much like golf cart batteries.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does anyone use a lawn tractor battery? Much smaller and lighter than a conventional deep cycle battery. I'll only be using it to power headlights, charge it with a small on-board mbattery charger/maintainer. The battery is $29 at WalMart, I thought I'd try it out. Any thoughts?
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Muck, I currently have a motorcycle battery in my cart, (didn't know about the wheelchair batteries at the time). It will cost you more than a lawnmower battery but will probably last twice as long and it will tolerate the extended drain of running lights for a couple hours much better than the thin, short plates in the lawnmower unit.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I tried this. The experts here suggested it would last about a year and they were correct. I used it to power lights and a MP3 type sound system with a small amp. Worked OK and could power the sound for several hours but I never really stressed it.
Currently I have a power chair type battery as chloe suggested. It is a 35AH glass mat battery and is designed for deep discharge like golf cart (traction) batteries. Much more robust than the lawn mower type battery but considerably smaller than a marine battery and about 20lbs. Maintenance free. I charge it with a small maintainer from wally world ~ $30 and it came with an adapter plug for the battery so it can be plugged in similar to the cart charger. I monitor it with a digital SOC meter and it will run the sound and lights for hours and hours with out hardly phasing it. I'm about to start its 3rd year of service. At $ 80-90 it will take 3 years to break even compared the the $30 lawn tractor battery (assuming replacement every year) but even if it only lasts 3 years I would never go back to the tractor battery. I don't have "endurance anxiety" like I did with the tractor battery.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Where did you purchase the power chair battery?
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
Where did you purchase the power chair battery?
Batteries plus. Harbor Freight also sells one advertised for solar storage but its the same thing. They come in different AH ratings. I picked a 35AH one and it is more than enough for my needs. If you are going to power an all out light show and/or powerful amps you might need more, possibly marine. Myself I am a little leery of marine batteries as they are not much different than cranking batteries in construction. Probably get more AH out of them but they are large and heavy comparatively with suspicious service life. My opinion.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO