lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1995 workhorse was running great now I have to work the choke.

More Problems with my 1995 Workhorse. I changed the voltage regulator and it was running and charging fine and now it does not start well, have to pull the choke all the time even when it is warmed up and it loses power while I am riding around.
I filled it with gas and I noticed the red filter so I will change the fuel filter.
I just recently changed the air filter and now I see a circle of (possibly) oil on the new filter.
I read about cleaning the carb. but I am not positive on the process. (cleaned a carb on a edger and I still don't have it working right.)
I read about adjusting the valves but I am not sure I am confident enough to mess with them, How much damage can I do to it?

Am I on the right track with cleaning the carb and adjusting the valve? This has been very frustrating because it was running so well.
FRATT70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 1995 workhorse was running great now I have to work the choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRATT70 View Post
Am I on the right track with cleaning the carb and adjusting the valve? This has been very frustrating because it was running so well.
Yes you are, the valve adjustment is very easy to do. I don't even use a feeler gage to do them, I always back off a 1/4 of a turn after lightly touching the valve with the adjuster. read the sticky thread on how to adjust them, it's very simple and the cover gasket is a reuseble rubber one so you really only need a 10mm wrench and a regular screw driver to do this.
The carbs will act this way if the have some blockage in them or if they are just wore out. If your filter got blocked up with junk then it's possible some got into the carb
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Adjusted the valves today and no luck, the cart runs the same. I have to pull the choke and go in an out a couple of time before it goes and it will go fine and then die out. If i play with the choke again it will go, when I stop the cart completely it backfires. I used the .004 feeler and everything looked "normal". Also changed the fuel filter.

Any other suggestions? I will check the valves again tomm just to make sure I didn't screw anything up. thanks, ed
Old 05-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Sounds as if it's running out of gas and somthings not right with the fuel delivery system, it could just be mucked up from sitting. check the vac. hose going from the engine to the fuel pump and make sure it's in working order with no gas in it. After that I would suspect the carb being the problem and is in need of cleaning, the fuel tank needs to be clean also to keep from picking up more gunk and repeting the problem.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Used seafoam on the carb and it ran better. If I step on the gas lightly is starts up much better and slowly builds up to full speed, works great for stop and go work. If I step on it too quick it does not start or it just bogs down and stops. I can start slow and get to full speed and drive around for 10 minutes and the cart will bog down and stop and I have to start slowly again. I do not have to use the choke to start now but it is still acting weird

When I adjusted the valves I did not check where it was at before I changed them to .004. Do you normally have problems with the valve being too loose or too tight?

Also I checked the hose connecting the fuel pump to the carb and there was gas in it. I did not check the other hose. Any other suggestions?
I thought I was set with this thing and could get ready for a lift and tires but right now I do not think this thing could move bigger tires. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

On the valves the normal thing is the intakes tighten up as the valve face wears into the seat this means the intakes will need adjusted more often (like ever few years depending on use). I dont use a feeler gage to adjust them, I just get the cam lobe faceing down and when the adjuster just touches the valve I back off 1/4 of a turn then lock them down. I have spent many hours adjusting solid lifter engines in cars so I kinda have a knack for it. I find trying to get a gage in between the valve and rocker kind of a bugger and backing off a 1/4 turn is the right amount of adjustment on these little engines.
checking the hose that goes from the engine block to the pump for gas in it is to see if your pump diaphram is leaking.
Sound as if your carb jet is clogged and needs cleaned out, I've had pefect running engines that have gotten the carbs messed up just by pouring in gas that had gunk in the gas can, sometimes even filters won't hold back slimey stuff'.
With the 350 engine running right and a shorter belt you should have no problems running up to 24" tires anywhere
Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the cart has sat for any time old or dirty fuel can be a problem. Look into the tank can you see particles floating around? Take the fuel line off the carb and put it into a jar, crank the engine let some gas run i it. Are there floaters?
Like Jon has said disconnect the line from the crankcase to the pump and see if any gas is present representing a diaphragm rupture!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Subarumouse
Gone Wild

Red face Re: 1995 workhorse was running great now I have to work the choke.

Hello Fratt70 & Co,

As partially said:
Check gas, if there is dirt in it.
" Vacuumhose if sitting tight on the nipples or leak.
" if vacuumhole on the engineside is open.
" the little hole under the hosenipple on the back of the pump, it has to be open.
Check if there is coming gas out of the pump, towards the carb.(it has to have a litle pressure)
Check the membrane's in the pump on dirt or leakage.(It has to be impossible to blow from the outgoing hose back to the pump)
Check the float? (ring in the carb) on floating on the right level. (Adjust it)
Check the floating needle if clean and free moving.
Clean the whole carb, every port with air.
Readjust the stationairy screw.
Check, if the sealing between engine and carb is oke and on the good place, not the wrong direction so it closes some tubes in the carb!

It is possible that some things on your carb are different as on mine, but i think not so much...

Sorry for some "difficult english" i'm only dutch...

Benno

Last edited by Subarumouse; 05-05-2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Sorry, name written wrong
Subarumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dank u veel, I will take it apart and clean it properly this weekend
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

By the time the weekend came around the carb has cleared itself out and it is running nice. Might be the seafoam in the gas?. Any way I didn't have to take apart the carb and lose any pieces. Thanks everybody.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO