lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
mikkeeh
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 charging high

Recently purchased a G22. Resting battery voltage is about 12.75 or so. With motor running, output at the battery is about 16.8. I’ve done a lot of research here...seems the question has been asked several times, so it’s a fairly common issue it seems. Most folks report changing the voltage regulator with no improvement. Although most posters agree that the voltage is high....there doesn’t seem to be a conclusive solution.

Thoughts?
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
murrman26
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G22 charging high

The pulley is probably wore out on your generator and is spinning too fast

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
murrman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
mikkeeh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrman26 View Post
The pulley is probably wore out on your generator and is spinning too fast

Can you explain this? Why would a worn pulley spin faster. I can understand it causing belt slippage....but not running faster.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
murrman26
Not Yet Wild

It would be fine for starting but once it starts to generate the pulley having a smaller diameter on the inside will spend it faster

Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
murrman26
Not Yet Wild

Spin

Old 10-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
Although most posters agree that the voltage is high....there doesn’t seem to be a conclusive solution.

Thoughts?
IMHO, it is a manufacturer decision due to how a golf cart is used: very short distance between starts. In my case, I use it as my day-to-day vehicle so I wanted to lower the voltage to 14.5V max.

When I had to change my regulator, I searched for an adjustable version (like the original on G9-A) and found only from one supplier.

Here is my thread...

It is a bit tricky to adjust as the reading changes when you put back everything in place (cover, etc...), so it requires a couple of tries...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
mikkeeh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
IMHO, it is a manufacturer decision due to how a golf cart is used: very short distance between starts. In my case, I use it as my day-to-day vehicle so I wanted to lower the voltage to 14.5V max.

When I had to change my regulator, I searched for an adjustable version (like the original on G9-A) and found only from one supplier.

Here is my thread...

It is a bit tricky to adjust as the reading changes when you put back everything in place (cover, etc...), so it requires a couple of tries...
Sounds logical. But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Tweeder
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

As long as your battery isn't getting hot, I don't think it would be a problem
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.
In fact, at 18+V, my radio was restarting loosing all its memory. It is the way I discovered my VR was finished :(

This being said, it is not a too good situation having a too high voltage; a lot of stuff needs more amps, not voltage or, as you mentioned, some stuff can burn or eventually limit its life!!!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Sounds logical. But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.
Yamahas do tend to charge high. Up to a point most electronics will tolerate the variance, though it may very well reduce their overall lifespan by a bit. One Yamaha owner found he had no problem with lights and radio, but the 16+ volts would cause his power inverter to shut down. Given the choice of a mechanical / adjustable regulator he instead decided to do without his A/C powered parade lights, which were the only reason he used to inverter.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha