lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default G1 Top end worn out and rebuild

Compression was 60psi so i took the piston and cylinder off. There was definitely some blowby, and a lot of carbon build up in the exhaust. The cylinder has some small gouging from what looks like the end of one of the rings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190211_192325.jpg (119.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_192347.jpg (121.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_192404.jpg (159.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_192502.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
jetboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Top end worn out and rebuild

Hi...I not long ago rebuilt my top end...My cylinder was worn 40 thou.I had the cylinder bored out and a new oversize piston and ring put in...I can't remember the oversize...It was the first one in a list of 4 oversizes you can get for the G1.
It was $100au for the rebore plus $88 for the piston rings bearing gaskets, so not all that expensive.
Now its a completely different cart...More power than I'll ever need..Pulls a trailer with ease.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Update: I ordered a .25 over piston and ring set. when it arrived the rings were standard bore and the gaskets are missing. I emailed the company and they said they did not have the rings that i needed or the gasket kit so they returned my money. On top of that i can't find a machine shop that will bore the cylinder. The auto machine shop says they have no way of holding the cylinder and the motorcycle shop said they will not work on a golf cart. The golf cart shop says they send everything back east. So i honed the cylinder and installed the standard size new rings on the old piston. Waiting on A gasket kit and will check compression after that. Wish me luck.
jetboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

Let us know how it works out. Should work. I'm not sure why people are boring theses cylinders when you can buy a complete top end kit for these around $225. ( DIY golf carts )That includes a NEW cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin/clips and all the gaskets needed for the job. No searching for a shop to bore an old cylinder.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here is a new top end on Ebay...$405....DIY the go at $225 thats for sure...They never had it stock when I enquired.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-G...yeH:rk:22:pf:0

The Aussie seller here wanted over $600 just for the cylinder...They rip you off down here the so and so's.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Let us know how it works out. Should work. I'm not sure why people are boring theses cylinders when you can buy a complete top end kit for these around $225. ( DIY golf carts )That includes a NEW cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin/clips and all the gaskets needed for the job. No searching for a shop to bore an old cylinder.
not everybody has or wants to drop $225+. You can get a piston kit for around $60 with gaskets and about that to bore it or less. I find it odd no one wants to bore it for you but then machine shops seem to be a dying art.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I went the same route when I bought one that wouldn't run. (thread here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...1-experts.html)

If you're thinking of the $225+ route, don't! Plowman's has a $249 G1 top end kit that's a much better option. here: G1 Top End Kit

BTW, I would be wary of the "Nivel" brand on Ebay. It's been discussed here frequently, and I am pretty sure Plowman's is the way to go if you are going to spend over $200.

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTX View Post
I went the same route when I bought one that wouldn't run. (thread here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...1-experts.html)

If you're thinking of the $225+ route, don't! Plowman's has a $249 G1 top end kit that's a much better option. here: G1 Top End Kit

BTW, I would be wary of the "Nivel" brand on Ebay. It's been discussed here frequently, and I am pretty sure Plowman's is the way to go if you are going to spend over $200.

Ogre
you know ive wondering about Nivel brand as of late. If im not mistaken they are the ones producing the top end kit for the Harley carts as well. Id love to go OE but they are getting harder to come by. Do you know of aftermarket brands to look for? Just not much out there that I can tell.

The plowmans route would be what I would do if looking for a complete top end.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha