lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Grounding issue on g16

I had a customer bring in a g16 with symptoms of no starting. After some testing I can get the cart to start running a jumper from the negative battery post to the valve cover, indicating a bad ground somewhere. That's the trick...somewhere. I'm not much of a Yamaha guy. Can someone give me a clue as to where the ground(s) are on this cart? I've looked at wiring diagrams. The large neg. cable goes to the SG. There's a smaller maybe 18 awg. wire coming off the main negative that I suspect may be the culprit. Without tearing all the loom out I cannot isolate this. Am I on the right track? Thanks all for any input!
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Grounding issue on g16

there is a ground inside the box that solenoid is in,there is a 2wire white connector under the front of the engine with a blue wire and black wire.the black wire grounds under the engine just below the fan cover.blue wire goes to coil inside the cover.
mr.ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I think I may have found it. There is a wire that comes off the back of the engine that runs all the way to the neg battery post. I think maybe the connection has been lost inside the motor. Is this the engine ground? Best way to replace? Oh BTW, I misspoke when I said it's a G16. It's a 2004 G22. I was going off memory.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Would I cause any damage if I just ran a new ground to either the engine or frame seeing as how it will turn over when I jumper from the battery to either? Seems like the easiest fix to get this cart back on the road.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

**UPDATE** After checking every wire in the whole cart, I was still stumped. I couldn't, in good faith just run a new ground. Just not my style. So just when I was about to throw in the towel, my wife came out to visit and said, "Well honey, did you check the fuse?" To which I say, "Of course dear, that was the very first thing I checked." So she wanted me to humor her and just try a different one. I wanted to prove to her that the fuse in there was fine so I pulled it out and explained how it does look and how it would look if it was blown. To go a step further, I put a meter on it set to continuity and told her we would hear a beep indicating a good fuse. WHAT? NO BEEP? Scratching my head, I went ahead and put a new 10A fuse in and you guessed it. The cart fired right up! The very first thing I checked did indeed end up being the culprit. The fuse still does look fine. I wanted to update this post as a warning to everyone. Please, for your own sanity, before you spend 20 hours tracking down wiring to find a bad ground wire somewhere, put a meter on your good "looking" fuse. I certainly learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Just because a fuse looks good to the naked eye, doesn't mean it is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha