lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
midegim
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 Marathon shutting down

Hi to all, new member here. I recently picked up an 84 Marathon in decent condition. It has been sitting a while so wasn't running very well. Here's what I've done to date. Replaced carb, fuel pump, fuel filters, air filter, spark plug, fuel tank cap. The cables were put back as close to possible as they were found, however the replacement carb didn't have the rotating attachment point so I drilled a bolt to attach the oil injector cable. At this point it starts easily and runs well. Spark plug color looks good nice and tan with a touch of oil around the outside. Here's the issue... After running perhaps for 5 or 6 minutes it just quits. The engine is not locked up, it's just like it shut off. If I wait a couple minutes it starts fine again and if we go for a couple minutes, repeat the sequence. Two things I've noticed. The large pre fuel pump filter is nearly empty and the engine seems to be pretty hot. We are just using it to run kids around the farm, you can't really get up to full speed for any time at all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
midegim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 Marathon shutting down

The filters never look full.

You should disconnect the oiler cables, and plug the oil banjo hole in the intake manifold. It's a 6mm screw.
Premix your gas at 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per one gallon of gas. There's a good chance your oiler has already failed. That may, or may not be part of the heat problem.

There should be metal shrouds around the cooling fins to direct the air. It's also possible your fins are packed with mud. Maybe even a mouse nest.

When it quits, you need to determine if it is losing spark, or fuel.

I recently ruined a laptop, and lost my files. Search my posts. You will find a pdf for an 85 manual. Yours is the same. I have also posted pictures of how to hook up the carburetor cables. Look for open throttle, and closed throttle. It shows the ink pen spring that should be on the end of the throttle cable.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO