lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
actionjacksonbn
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 Drive A Few General Problems I'm Having

Hey everyone Ive been reading some stuff on this forum for quite a while and finally decided to post my questions. I purchased a 2014 Gas Yamaha drive. It is lifted and has 23 inch tires. When I purchased it I GPS'd it at 17mph. I purchased it after a quick spin around the block. Not knowing much about the particulars of one of these carts but being pretty mechanically inclined I figured I could pretty much figure anything out about it. Upon bringing it home I noticed that When I come to stop signs and don't make a complete stop just kind of coast to a near stop and press the accelerator I get a pretty consistent backfire. Sometimes its worse sounding extremely loud and on occasion its swoosh air sound but primarily gunshot sounding. I checked the governor and the base of the nut was about 1.5inches away from the end of the all thread. I have moved it all around I have tightened it all the way down to the base and gotten 20mph but it becomes more prone to backfires. I have also brought it down to 14mph (about 1 inch from the end of the all thread) and it is still prone to backfires but not as consistent. With all that being said I've taken the carb off and there is slack on the throttle cable at the carb and at the governor. I didn't take the carb apart but from a visual inspection without going in depth it Was surprisingly clean. I noticed a small amount of oil in the air box if that means anything (sorry if thats kind of a random statement). But im just not quite understanding this backfire completely. Do I need to do a valve adjustment? Should I tear the carb apart? Also don't those speeds sound kind of off? I would have expected 12-15mph stock on stock tires and 20mph with the governor nut screwed all the way down. I only get 20mph with the nut all the way down on 23 inch tires. I would have assumed 20mph would have nearly been obtained by simply increasing the tire size with no governor adjustments.
actionjacksonbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Godfather
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2014 Drive A Few General Problems I'm Having

This is from an article I found online at this website....
https://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-...ses-solutions/

and they say....

More often than not, golf cart backfiring is caused by the throttle plate inside the carburetor being slightly open. This allows fuel to flow into the cylinder before the ignition system is activated to produce a spark for combustion. Instead of igniting a small amount of fuel when working properly, a larger amount collects and you get a significant explosion, which is called a back fire. For the fuel and ignition systems to work properly together, the spark should be in the cylinder via the plug prior to fuel gets there.

In almost all cases, whether it is a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine, golf cart backfiring is caused by the accelerator cable being out of adjustment at the throttle plate of the carburetor. This problem has a relatively simple cure.

With the ignition key in the OFF position and the seat completely removed, press the accelerator pedal down. You will hear a low, almost inaudible “click” from the accelerator micro switch. Depending on the golf cart brand and model, this accelerator micro switch may be located around the pedal itself or possibly mounted to the inside of the front wall of the engine compartment. Once you identify where your accelerator micro switch is located, press the accelerator pedal down again and listen for its click, while looking at the carburetor throttle plate.

For proper symbiosis between the fuel and ignition systems, the accelerator micro switch must click BEFORE the throttle lever of the carburetor moves. The accelerator cable may move through the plate, but the plate itself cannot move prior to the micro switch click. If you find the throttle plate moves prior to the click, you will need to make adjustments.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha