lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Default Handling issue

I recently purchased a 2014 Yamaha Drive and I am having handling issues when up to speed. It has 20 inch tires on 14 inch wheels with a 2 inch lift kit. It has a higher speed motor, but I am not sure exactly what the specs are other than it is supposed to go around 20-25 mph. The problem I am having is that when I get above 15, the cart gets extremely squirrelly. Every bump in the road, especially when crossing over the crown, the cart becomes extremely difficult to control and wants to fishtail. I'm worried about rolling the cart because it is hard to control, and sometimes the control issues happen slower than I would expect. Does anyone have any advice they could give on how I could improve the situation, or what my issue might be? I tried deflating the tires down to 22psi as I had seen suggested, and that helped, but not much. Thank you in advance.
csdougl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Handling issue

Set toe to zero, or possibly toe-out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could also be worn out shocks.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Like CG said check your toe-in sounds to me like it is needs to be adjusted I run mine 1/8" toe-in and the squirrely steering went away.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I will check the toe in when I can get some time to work on it if need be. It shouldn’t be shocks/suspension related as I had that replaced when I bought the cart. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

So I checked the toe. The front of the front tires are about an inch closer together than the rear of the front tires. Would this account for the steering problems? I though that type of toe was good? I know it is high, but does it need to go the opposite direction?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

0-1/8" toe in should make an immense improvement.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Does the 1/8 hold true even with the larger tires?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Almost exclusively yes. Unless you possess some intimate knowledge of non-standard suspension and unusual tires on your cart.

That is the standard. If you aren't satisfied with the result you could always experiment in small increments less than and greater than to fine tune the adjustment that suits your particular cart. A little goes a long way.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Thank you. I was just curious since 1/8 on a stock tire is a bigger angle than 1/8 on a larger tire and we are talking about relatively small angles making meaningful impacts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha