lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
Shifters13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Swap rear axle with different manufacturer?

I have a 98 cc with CW rear end rotation and CCW motor. I'd prefer not to just run in reverse or swap gears and still run in reverse. Can the rear axle be swapped with EZGO or Yamaha with a little modification (provided I can't find pre-96 cc axle) ? I would imagine the leaf spring axle plate is all that would be needed?

Thanks
Shifters13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Swap rear axle with different manufacturer?

Anything's possible, but a different transaxle will need to be modified to fit. The offset of the clutch location will be different. How it mounts to the swingarm. Shock mounts. Brake cables. Lot's to think about there. I'd try to find the correct Club Car transaxle for sure.

Edit: this is assuming you are swapping engines to a big block like a clone etc.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you swapped it with an ezgo or Yamaha you would still be running in reverse. The clutch is on the opposite side of those carts so you would be spinning it backwards.

Your only option would be to find a pre-1996 club car rear axle. I don’t know that it would be a direct bolt in but should be pretty close enough that you could make it work. Good luck finding one...

IMO you’re better off buying a set of speed gears and dealing with the shifter being opposite actual direction. It’s not going to hurt the transmission at all. If that bugs you I’m sure the shifter could be modified so it shifts the correct direction... lot easier to modify a shifter than to mess with retrofitting axles or searching for a 30 year old axle in good enough shape to use
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It would take quite a bit of modification either way you go. The transmission bolts to the engine cradle and that's what basically holds the engine up. With any different rear axle you will also have to make a new cradle for the engine, or modify the existing one so the axle attaches to the cradle. Even if you use a transaxle from a pre96 Club Car, you still also need the cradle from that car.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
Shifters13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the input. The cc I got didn't have motor but everything else was there. Rebuilt a 15hp Kohler. Just exploring all my options. I've thought about the HS gears and currently searching for a pre-96. Fabricating a lift now, almost done. If all else fails, reverse is forward.
Shifters13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car