lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
goofymaz
Gone Wild

Talking what will changing my cables to 4g welding cables do to my performance exactly

if all i did to my standard 2000 ezgo txt series cart was change the 6 gauge cable to 4 gauge welding cables how would that change my performance exactly? would i see more speed? if so about how much? with that help me climb hills better? if so will i see a great change or not much? i want to do this but im curious for the $200 or so its going to cost me what i will see as a change exactly!
thanks!
goofymaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
pansser
ZONE FREE ZONE

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what will changing my cables to 4g welding cables do to my performance exactly

3%-5% or so increase in torque(hill climbing) cooler running motor, less wear and tear on all components.no real speed increases.
pansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Default Re: what will changing my cables to 4g welding cables do to my performance exactly

On a stock cart, your not going to notice anything. 6 guage cables are not taxed on a stock cart. Add a high amp controller, bugger motor, then yes you will feel a difference. If you want to test to see if you need bigger cables, drive your cart, then lift the seat and start feeling cables...if they are hot, then there is resistance and thats not good.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
scrunner
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

$200!! You shouldn't spend more that $90-$100 for a set of 4ga. I just upgraded mine to 2ga because I plan on going to a 500 amp controller in a couple of months, and the acceleration is a good bit quicker off the jump. not any faster once you get going. it does help a little bit going up hills. i have a pds cart, but i think my results translate across the board.
scrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

If the stock cables have been overheated before, the will have high resistance like FIXEROFCARTS said. When you have resistance in the wires, you will be limiting the amount of current that can flow through the wire.

Speed is a product of voltage not current, and because the wires only limit current, there will be no speed increase. You could see faster acceleration, but again, if the wires are not getting hot at all now, you will most likely not see any improvement.

-Adam
adamj12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrunner View Post
$200!! You shouldn't spend more that $90-$100 for a set of 4ga.
I think my upgrade cables cost me about $55.00!
I ordered about 30' of welding cable, the brass connectors, cut, and soldered myself. Upgrading cables are a pretty inexpensive thing to do.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

You can get the OEM 4ga kit from EZGO for around 125 shipped.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
goofymaz
Gone Wild

thanks guys! this helps a lot! i appreciate it!
goofymaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO