lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
czdaryle
Not Yet Wild

Default newbie..steering loose

new to this as we just got some land and bought a g16 used golf cart. My daughter has been driving the crap out of it and I was on it the other day and it felt like the steering wheel and a little more play then it did before. Any suggestions on what to look at or for'

thanks in advance
czdaryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: newbie..steering loose

check the king pins, wheel bearings, tie rod ends and steering box...thats all thats involved in the steering system but all can be seen very easy by just jacking it up and giving everything a shake. if it seems loose then it is and needs replaced.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Reid Hartford
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

mine was doing the same so I crawed up under her and noticed my steering gear box was cracked on the side and was leaking grease(bought a used on from a cart graveyard). Take the cover of your gearbox off and pack it with grease plus the screw that chuddly was talking about will get rid of the play. lightly seat the srew and slowly back off it while someone is turning the wheel. See if that helps. Good luck! Check out this link to show you the make up of the steering. the part you need to tighten is #10.

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=77
Reid Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

That was gonna be my question for the day thank u czdarylu for asking and thany ya;ll for answer,
410MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure the steering turns easily all the way lock to lock, often they wear such that there will be play in the center and they get tight as you turn sharp...then they don't want to turn back to center that easily...for really worn ones. I did my cart no problem, it was not that worn I guess. Had a truck once was so bad I had to replace it eventually could not tighten it up anymore.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
czdaryle
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys...I will check it this weekend...I did notice the tie rods can be turned a little (front to back)..is that normal
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
czdaryle
Not Yet Wild

which screw are you refering to..thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
which screw are you refering to..thanks
He's talking about #10--#11

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=77

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Reid Hartford
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

# 11 is a lock nut. loosen it and tighten # 10 the screw with I think it's just a flat head screw driver then have someone turn the wheel as you make adjustments to the screw.By adjsutments I mean loosin or tighten. Look all around the gear box to ensure no cracks in it plus make sure you have a good amount of grease in the box. Good luck! Plus if you look at your front tires and they are angled in too far
or out too far it's your tie rods. Make sure they are not bent and adjust the nuts with a wrench to move the tire in and out.
Reid Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
icecreamman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wink Re: newbie..steering loose

After you diagnose and repair the steering problems, be sure to check the wheel alignment. Both front wheels need to track parallel to each other. That will insure your cart rolls easily, minimizing the torque required to push the cart. This in turn minimizes the load on your batteries and can affect speed. To check the alignment, use 2 straight edges (I use 4 foot levels) and have someone help you hold them horizontally, agaisnt and across the outsises of the wheels. You can then measure the distance between them in front and the behind the tires/wheels. The distance should be the same (or really close). If not, use the adjustment on the tie rod ends to pull them together (toe in) or spreed the (toe out). Dont forget to lock them back in place with the locknut. Hope this helps. Way too many carts are not performing to their capability (and wear out tires) due to poor alignment and loose front end components.
icecreamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha