lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #21
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 ezgo workhorse, cannot control slow speeds

O.K., the cart is still running great, now to fix the charging problem.

Quote:
On your battery recharing issue: Run the engine at 3/4 to full throttle with a DVM on the battery posts. Any voltage below 15.5v, and you need to replace the voltage regulator (most common problem on recharing issues... gotta verify though )
I charged the battery up and it tested at around 12.5 volts. Ran the cart at 3/4 throttle and the volts were roughly 12.25.

Quote:
If your V/R is bad the volt will measure (at the battery) around 12v when running. To check the start/gen to make sure it's working, unhook the green wire coming from the start/gen and ground it to the frame then measure volts going to the battery, if it's around 16v then you know the start/gen is working fine and the problem is indeed the V/R.
Removed the green wire and grounded it and ran at 3/4 throttle still around 12.5 volts.

[IMG][/IMG]

I tested the voltage from the positive to negative on the battery when I grounded the green wire. Was this the proper proceedure? Are there any more tests before I claim the starter / generator dead? Thanks
FRATT70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #22
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRATT70 View Post
O.K., the cart is still running great, now to fix the charging problem.

I charged the battery up and it tested at around 12.5 volts. Ran the cart at 3/4 throttle and the volts were roughly 12.25.

Removed the green wire and grounded it and ran at 3/4 throttle still around 12.5 volts.

[IMG][/IMG]

I tested the voltage from the positive to negative on the battery when I grounded the green wire. Was this the proper proceedure? Are there any more tests before I claim the starter / generator dead? Thanks
Nothing wrong with your starter/gen.

You need to place your green wire on the DF terminal, right now it is on the F2 terminal. If you accidentally put it on the wrong terminal, and it was on the DF terminal during the test, then you will need to replace your voltage regulator. Shoot me a P.M.

Bob
Bob-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Bob-O, sent you a PM but I have no idea if you got it. Still having to recharge the battery, you said that the starter / generator is wired wrong. Does anyone know the proper way to wire it, I thought I read it somewhere in the forum but I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You sure it isn't the voltage regulator? Very common to your symptoms

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Hi,

Sorry about that, I haven't checked my messages for a while.... very busy

The green wire goes on the DF terminal. You can tell if it is correct by the fact that the DF terminal requires an 8mm wrench whereas all the other terminals require a 10mm wrench. From where the green wire is in that picture, put your hand on that terminal and go straight down appx 90.3 degrees. That terminal you feel is the DF terminal.

The wire from the solinoid goes to the F2 Terminal
The Ground strap (steel braided cable) goes to the A1 terminal
The brush to field coil cable goes from A2 to F1 (Stays on s/g, does not go away from it).

Each terminal is stamp labeled, and you can use a flashlight and mirror to verify each position on the passenger's side. The F2 terminal is the one just below the air box. The A1 and A2 terminals are on the end cap (opposite pulley).

That should get you on your way again

Run the battery voltage test again after you have placed the green wire on the DF terminal. If it still does not register between 14.5 and 15.5 then your VR is no longer working. Send me a P.M. if that happens

Bob
Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Bob, there is a problem with your idea, the DF is a wire, unable to attach the green. Check out the pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I am taking out the regulator also, doesn't look to be too complicated.
Can it be fixed or do you have to replace it? Is it a common item at shops or is it something that has to be ordered online. Thanks, ed
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #27
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Someone put a Yamaha Starter/generator on your car.

In other words, the starter/generator that is on it now does not belong with your car.

Electrically, you can cut and splice the green wire to the unconnected wire comming from the DF terminal (not the one going to the F2 post). Use a butt connector and wire the wire through the green wire.

Don't pull the regulator, the problem is with the starter/generator!

After you splice the green wire to the DF wires, check the recharging of the battery. If it still does not recharge, you will need to get the correct s/g.

Bob

EDIT: I checked up on this, and YES you can definantly wire the green wire to the unconnected wire.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
FRATT70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 1995 ezgo workhorse, cannot control slow speeds

Thanks everybody, rewired it like bob-O described, changed out the voltage regulator, got a new belt and put in a new battery and everything is charging great. The cart is running fast and smooth, now just have to save up for the lift and tires.

[IMG][/IMG]

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO