lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Clone has no spark

Ok guys I have a little problem with my clone engine.SHe has been going for almost 2 weeks now even with a carb problem I haven't yet had time to mess with.(She only runs with the choke on partially)I will be checking that issue soon.
Anyways back to the problem.The wife drove it up to get the mail and it was sputtering like usual ,and then it quit.
I thought for sure it was out of fuel as it only has about 2 gallons in it when I put the motor in.
I had a few minutes to look at it,and I pulled the plug wire,and put another plug in it.Cranked her over ,and sure enough there is no spark.
No matter wether I use the Yammi starter or the electric starter that came on the engine it still has no spark.
I checked the circuit reset button and it was fine.
This is the Predator 13 hp engine from Harbor Frieght.I did buy the no hassle warranty,but before I go to the trouble to jerk it out and take it back I thought I would see if anyone has had this issue with any of the other clones out there?
If I decide to fix it where could i find parts to fit?I imagine honda parts will work?
Just wanted to see what other opinions are on the situation are.
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Clone has no spark

I forgot to mention that it does have oil in it so I don't think the low oil switch is the issue.I guess I will have to pull it out in a few days if I get the time and see what has happened.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The ignition grounds the little wire from the coil to kill it, you need to see if that wire is grounded. Either the key or a kill switch grounds it I think the low oil sensor does too. Also ensure the coil did not come loose but it would hit the flywheel, heard of that happening on them. Not a bad idea to stop at autozone/etc and grab a spark tester they are like $5 and easy to see the spark. There are parts for this on ebay all the time, honda parts should work. The 13hp is a gx390 the 16hp is the same but a stroker crankshaft. Honda parts will cost you. Some parts places also have clone parts.

Mine did the same thing, I used a car airbox and muffler, I had to make the main jet way larger before it would run over half throttle with the choke off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I will have to pull the fan cover and see what is going on.
I know it wouldn't idle from when i first installed it,but I had been getting by with the choke on a little bit.
I still haven't got the kill switch relay installed so I know thats not an issue.I hope it is something simple ,but you never know.
Thanks for the ideas Sho I will look into it.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you changed the airbox and/or muffler the jetting could be way off and higher air flow in/out of engine it will be lean....explaining the need for choke. But doubtful that has anything to do with not having spark. Either coil is shot, coil wire is grounded, coil came off not properly next to flywheel anymore. That is very dangerous if that comes loose it can turn the entire flywheel into shrapnel not kidding you, and often blows a hole in the block at the same time. It may not if it happens at low rpm.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well the carb issue is not spark related.I did change the air intake to a round slip on foam air filter like a K&N hooked to my own housing to get around the shock.So I imagine it might have thrown the jetting off.The exhaust is using a header coming out similar to the one you did but hooked to the stock muffler.Then a tail pipe exiting under the rear of the cart.Maybe in the afternoon tomorrow after I get a few things done.I can look into it and see whats going on
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

This one would run up to about half throttle, after that it missed unless you choked it part way. It didn't run the best but did run, is a lot better with the big jet in it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well I went and pulled it all apart ,and I still can't get any spark out of it.I think the coil has died.So I called on my warranty to HF and they told me to take it back and they would exchange it.So either tonight or tomorrow morning I am going to yank it out ,and take her back.
So it looks like I will be cutting a crank and retapping it tomorrow night
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps