lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
TXPalerider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2003 IQ Charging problems...

New to the forum and new to carts and am having a charging problem.

As stated above, I have a an '03 IQ Club Car. I just bought it about a month ago and really haven't used it much, but, am having problems getting the batteries to recharge right.

Here's the history:

The batteries are not new, but, I was told they were tested and initially holding a charge fine. (I have no reason to doubt that. The guy who built the cart is actively working with me, he's just out of town). The first night I ran the cart, the batteries seemed to go down rather quickly. I put the cart on the charger and it stayed 'ON" and charging for what seemed a very long time (over 24 hrs). After that initial charge, the batteries seemed to be charging normally, yet, they still didn't seem to hold a charge long. (Those few times I used the cart, I really didn't take the batteries very far down.) Now when I try to charge them, the charger runs for a while and shuts off as though it has completed charging. However, the "fuel gauge" says the batteries have not taken a full charge (hasn't changed much). Even got to a point where I couldn't get the charger to come on consistently. Thinking it may have been a bad charger, the cart builder sent me another charger. However, I'm having the same problems with it. Doesn't matter which charger I use, it runs for a while and shuts off without a complete charge.

All wires seem tight, battery water levels are fine.

What other things could it be? What else should I be checking?

I'm confident the guy will make it right whatever it is. I just need to try and narrow down some possibilites. I'm hoping it' something simple that my "newbiness" isn't letting me see.

Thanks in advance for any help.
TXPalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 IQ Charging problems...

Welcome to the forum TXPalerider...........................

Sounds like you have 1> bad batteries or 2> one bad battery or 3> bad connections on your batteries.

You have eliminated the charger so it's either batteries or connections at the batteries.

You should find out how old the batteries are. All batteries are dated. If the batteries are 2003 batteries, they will need to be replaced. Batteries only last an average of 5 years.

Get a volt meter and check the voltage of each battery and the total pack voltage or wait till he gets back and he can take care of it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
TXPalerider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Do I need to disconnect the batteries to check them? I checked them with a voltmeter and individually none of them registered below 8.7 - 8.8v. All together they were at just under 54v.

My son drove it around about 3 miles and the battery indicator is showing the batteries at under 3/4 strength. But, the batteries are still checking in the 8.7v range and about 52v together.

I'm wondering if the "fuel gauge" indicator might be hooked up wrong or is just faulty. I wouldn't think it would be, it's brand new. Is that likely?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Sounds like your batteries are ok. I would forget about the "fuel gauge" and run the heck out of it. That will tell you more than the gauge will.

My Daughter and Son in Law live in Cypress. He runs a big Car Wash.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Yes, those gauges do go out. Theres one guy on here who bought 2 in a row that didn't work. Unless it's a true Curtis I wouldn't put too much faith in it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
on18's
Getting Wild

Club Car

there is a port to plug a computer in to to check faults on the cart or any other problems ..sweet thing about a IQ ..but is there a dealer close to you that has one and they cost upward $500.00 to buy you might call around a good cart shop should own one just a FYI
on18's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
TXPalerider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
Sounds like your batteries are ok. I would forget about the "fuel gauge" and run the heck out of it. That will tell you more than the gauge will.

My Daughter and Son in Law live in Cypress. He runs a big Car Wash.
Cool!!

My biggest concern is, I'm about to take it out to the ranch and leave it. If there is an issue, I need to know now. If it is the gauge, I can replace that.

Couple of other questions:

Where would the batteries be dated?
Do I need to disconnect to check voltage on individual batteries?
Looking under the cart, there appears to be some battery leakage. Is this a sign?
Also, the batteries appear to be bulging (kinda pushed out and rounded) on the ends. Is this normal?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
on18's
Getting Wild

Club Car

Where would the batteries be dated? answer is on the flat place next to post there should be a stamp A7 would be Jan 07 B7 would be Feb 07 C7mar 07 so on if it's a 6 = 06 a 5 = 05 4= 04 a 3 = 03 hope this helps

leaking .....all leak when charged a little just remember 1's a month check water ...the old saying if you love it lube it in this case check the water

bulging ...this is normal

as for the gauge ..never us one if your going to take to the ranch spend 1 day and ride the hell out of it and see how long they last you should be able to run 30 + miles with no problem then when they are dead it should take about 10 to 12 hr to full charge

Last edited by on18's; 07-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
TXPalerider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Top of the positive post is stamped J2. If that's the date stamp, I'm gonna assume that is Oct. 02?

If so, batteries just may be my problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
on18's
Getting Wild

Club Car

Oct 2002 is correct i don't want to hurt your feelings but it's time for batteries almost 6 yrs old . they are about to there end.... even batteries maint.perfect will not go much over 6 yrs and if you are going to depend on it i would change them out and do your self a favor don't buy junk get Trojan or us batteries...the older people we deal with here will make the mistake and buy low end batteries because they can save 150.00 to 200.00 but they have to replace them in 2 1/2 yrs or 3 and they wish someone would have told them this first good luck!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car