lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Starter Solenoid Question

I have a brand new starter solenoid from another project. Its a 4 post 12V. The solenoid on my 2 cycle Marathon needs to be replaced. They look dang near identical. Could I use this solenoid? I picked it up from Advance AP's a while back and never used it. Might save me 20 bones if I can use it on my cart, but I don't want to cause more issues just because I tried to save some money. I'm not running any lights or any other accessories currently.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As long as its a continuous duty solenoid it should be fine. If not it will not last more then a few hours and burn up.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter Solenoid Question

It was for an old ford pickup. I no longer have the box/reciept to be certain if it is a continuous. Would a continuous be more common than a non? I am assuming it would not feed continuous power to the S/G, but only enough to start the engine. I could be wrong. Does the S/G continue running while the engine is running? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this stuff. Just trying to figure this out.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
jeffrun
Gone Wild

That solenoid would not last long, if from a auto system..will burn up as they are only intermittment duty.
When a golf cart starts using the solenoid and the starter motor, the starter motor becomes a generator when running and charges the battery , so the solenoid remains on(closed) all the time the motor is running. Thats why they need to be continous duty and about 100 amp rating. most sponsors have those. What year and model cart do you have?
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's an 81 Marathon. Serial # is 81F26 232997. Assuming it's an 81. Sounds like I need to order one then. Any recommendations on quick order/turnaround?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

here is a couple i noticed. Not sure about turn around time.

https://www.3rsalesandservice.com/ca...rvice/1111.htm

http://www.performancegolfcars.com/s...9-to-1994.aspx
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Get a Snow-Plow or Lift-Gate Solenoid.They are Continuous-Duty and cost about $20.I've used them for years,the Trombetta-Brand Solenoids we buy from Fisher,Western,& Blizzard Snow-Plows(all the same company) are also on new Yamaha-Carts according to another Member here(can't remember who).The Automotive Starter-Solenoids are Intermittent-Duty and usually won't last a day.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Helps a lot. Thanks for all the info. I'll probably just cut the risk and go with the ezgo solenoid. A plow solenoid is also quite tempting. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO