lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Keith G.
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 EZ GO 2 stroke to 4 stroke rear end question

Posted this in the clone swap section earlier but thought I might could get more eyes on it in the main BB forum. Hope this is OK thanks guys!

I have a 91 Marathon with the 2 stroke engine, the engine was shot when I bought it so I am planning to do a swap with the 16hp Duromax from Maxtool. I want to have reverse so from what I understand I have to find a 4 stroke rear end. My question is which rear end will be the best to go with, I also plan on putting the Jakes 4in drop axle lift on it and I would like the easiest rear end to make work with that lift.

And a side note: This things got a good bit of rust on it and I have a few ideas on taking care of the rust issue but if anybody has any advice for dealing with rust I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Keith G.
Keith G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
dylan schumacher
JUMP IT!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 EZ GO 2 stroke to 4 stroke rear end question

i would help if i knew... let me try and do some research
dylan schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

im gonna do the same thing in nexr few months and already got my parts almost ready..
you will need a 94 and up ezgo rear end,they have forward and reverse and put the belt runnin long ways with the cart like a 4 stroke should..
from what i read the clutch from the motor will work on the new motor..and the rear end you get needs the clutch and pully set up for it also..
i have learned,if i went with a "i think"98 and up rear end you can get a locker for the rear for under 200 bucks and have a slimited slip posi..
wish i had known that before getting a 94 rear end lol..
hope this helps
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Keith G.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I know they started putting 4 cycles in them in 92 but wasnt sure if that rear would be the best set up or not.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

92-94.5 Marathon 4-stroke rear will bolt in.If you get a complete one,the brakes,shifter,etc...will all run to the stock brackets.Otherwise,you'll have to swap out your brake-stuff(its' all interchangable,just bolts on).If you go with a newer axle,or different brand(Yamaha can be setup to fit),you will have to cut the mounts off the stock rear,and weld them to the new one.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Keith G.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man. I think I would rather have a direct bolt on instead of hacking up the old rear. Think I'm gonna go ahead and put new shocks on it while I'm at also!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have one for sale in Ohio, where are you located?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith G. View Post
Posted this in the clone swap section earlier but thought I might could get more eyes on it in the main BB forum. Hope this is OK thanks guys!

I have a 91 Marathon with the 2 stroke engine, the engine was shot when I bought it so I am planning to do a swap with the 16hp Duromax from Maxtool. I want to have reverse so from what I understand I have to find a 4 stroke rear end. My question is which rear end will be the best to go with, I also plan on putting the Jakes 4in drop axle lift on it and I would like the easiest rear end to make work with that lift.

And a side note: This things got a good bit of rust on it and I have a few ideas on taking care of the rust issue but if anybody has any advice for dealing with rust I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Keith G.

Keith, if the rust is only surface rust, sand/grind (I use a small side grinder with a wire brush attachment) as much off as possible and paint with a good quality rust preventative paint. If its deep, you may want to look at adding some additional bracing.

For the rear end: I mentioned in one of my other posts that the rear end in my UTV has a selectable locker in it. You may can expand your search for one of those too...just a thought.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Keith G.
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I have one for sale in Ohio, where are you located?
Just North of Montgomery Alabama....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Keith G.
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Keith, if the rust is only surface rust, sand/grind (I use a small side grinder with a wire brush attachment) as much off as possible and paint with a good quality rust preventative paint. If its deep, you may want to look at adding some additional bracing.

For the rear end: I mentioned in one of my other posts that the rear end in my UTV has a selectable locker in it. You may can expand your search for one of those too...just a thought.
I almost considered something like that for the rear, actually thought about the possibility of 4 wheel drive but I don't think I would use it enough to justify.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!