lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
raderrods
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Hard to hold a low speed

Hello all, new here, new to a G1, cart is in very decent shape, 86 model. Just got it 2 days ago and the maiden voyage was a local large swap meet. Starts, stops and steers fine has good power, but what I was having an issue with was trying to keep a constant low speed. If I try to run just off idle it would run for a short ways then stall and I use the word stall very loosely. It does not spudder or die it is just as if I let off the pedal. Then just press it again to get it going and all is well for another short distance. If I run it at a faster pace it does much better, but will still do it. But with all the pedestrians around it was difficult because of the stop...go. I feel it may be a linkage/cable/adjustment problem and don't think it is a clutch thing. I spent most of the last two days reading as many posts as I could to get up to speed on a G1. This is a great site, with a lot of help given.
Thanks in advance.
Craig
raderrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
raderrods
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Hard to hold a low speed

Let me add that I understand it is a 2 stroke and have had many many dirt bikes over the years and know that they do not behave like a 4 stroke. I know they are "peaky" but still will hold a constant speed albeit a little rough.
raderrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a G1 also that has that low speed problem. It makes for a real jerky ride. My throttle wasn't going shut and was the linkage had slack. I adjusted the throttle shut and put a real small spring on it to makes sure it pulls shut.
Then I could adj the idle speed, and the idle mix screw. I'd also make sure you have good gas, clean air and gas filters, and throw in a new spark plug. Other than this I couldn't get much info to fix the problem.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
whatzleft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm by no means a golf cart expert, but my 2001 ezgo was doing that, and I simply adjusted (backed off) the throttle cable a couple of turns, and I can now cruise as slow as I want w/o it hitting the stop switch.
whatzleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The idea is to have the throttle plate fully closed just before the ignition shuts off. Make sure the idle screw(if it has one) is not keeping the throttle plate open. Next, with the keyswitch OFF, press the gas pedal and listen for the pedal switch while looking at the throttle linkage. You want the switch to trigger just before the throttle moves. You can lengthen the throttle linkage arm if it is coming in too early.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Firedowg
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My g22 was doing the something. The throttle was not closing all the way. So 1/8 throttle was more like 1/2 throttle when trying to go slow.
Firedowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G1 you are actually supposed to set it to idle very slowly. I do for 4 cycles too but its not in the manual for them, it makes them start faster is why and also someone can run the battery dead driving on the starter if it does not idle. Usually the issue is the throttle is opening while or before the pedal switch comes on. The gen should spin the engine over (or idle) with the pedal before the carb opens at all. People adjust the cable up thinking it makes the cart faster, if they do it far enough the cart will backfire too.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha