lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Top End Kit for a 1982 G1 ???

Well, I have the great 1982 G1. When I did a trade deal on this cart, I had no idea that it was a one off engine.

I have to decide if I am going to have the jug bored 1mm over, OR is there a Top End Kit available for the 1982? I have been surfing the web this evening, and I cannot find one. I cannot even find a new cylinder. I called Plowman today (twice) with assurances (both times) that someone would call me back today. Hopefully someone will call me tomorrow (maybe they were very busy).

I have a cycle shop ready to bore my jug once I get them an oversize piston. I am just not sure what to do.

Is there a Top End Kit for the ubiquitous 1982 G1 out there somewhere?
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Top End Kit for a 1982 G1 ???

I've never seen a jug/kit for that year, If the shop will do it for the price you posted in the other thread, go that way.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is what I thought. The price is firm on the labor for the bore...$60 and he seems very competent.

I guess I need to order me a piston tonight!

Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Make sure he has the piston before he does the work. He will need it to size the bore.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, Mr. Kendrick made sure that I understood he needed the actual piston in hand before he bored the cylinder. When he measured the bore, he was pulling out some serious micrometers. I deal with very detailed stuff in my work and I do have a good eye for detail, but his experience really came out while he was measuring the bore. He was pointing out wear and little dips in the bore that I would have never seen if he did not point them out to me. He was very professional, and I gay-ron-tee you he was not able to get all the grime off his hands before supper (unless he used a belt sander!)

Never trust an mechanic with really clean hands (unless he is a jet mechanic).

I am about to order parts: Piston Kit (piston, rings, pin, clips), cylinder base gasket (I tore my other one), and I am going to order new crankcase seals for the heck of it (If I don't use them, I will have them on hand if I need them in the future). My head gasket is new. I would like to order a new exhaust gasket, but it is kind of an odd ball and I have not found one just yet.

Is there anything I am forgetting or not considering?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontag1 View Post
Yes, Mr. Kendrick made sure that I understood he needed the actual piston in hand before he bored the cylinder. When he measured the bore, he was pulling out some serious micrometers. I deal with very detailed stuff in my work and I do have a good eye for detail, but his experience really came out while he was measuring the bore. He was pointing out wear and little dips in the bore that I would have never seen if he did not point them out to me. He was very professional, and I gay-ron-tee you he was not able to get all the grime off his hands before supper (unless he used a belt sander!)

Never trust an mechanic with really clean hands (unless he is a jet mechanic).

I am about to order parts: Piston Kit (piston, rings, pin, clips), cylinder base gasket (I tore my other one), and I am going to order new crankcase seals for the heck of it (If I don't use them, I will have them on hand if I need them in the future). My head gasket is new. I would like to order a new exhaust gasket, but it is kind of an odd ball and I have not found one just yet.

Is there anything I am forgetting or not considering?
From a old golf car mechanic...I wouldn't reuse an allready installed head gasket, they crush, and if reused could blow out. Is the old upper rod bearing feel sound? Definatly replace the crank seals, with the new added compression, the old seals will quickly fail (unless they have recently been changed). The exhaust gasket part# 8f3-14613-01-00 is still available thru Yamaha, might do a web search for that part #. Might want to "barbeque" the muffler to clean it out (there's a "sticky" about it). Check the reed valve leaves, they should be tight to the reed assy, might also check to see if the throttle shaft has any play. That's enough from an old guy Good luck on your rebuild
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default BBQ and throttle shaft

Thanks for the input!

Here are the pictures from my Muffler BBQ. I got that sucker HOT!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post587220

I was looking at this thread I made a couple of years ago about the throttle shaft bushing. I have some ideas on improving on the concept that I might work on this weekend. I found a couple of items around the lab that might make a complete bushing instead of a slotted one. The slotted one has stood the test of time.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...haft-hole.html

About the Upper Rod Bearing??? Is that the needle bearing in the crankshaft or the needle bearing in the piston? I thought I would have to have specialty tools to take apart the crankshaft and to "true it up" as well. Is that the case?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I was refering to the piston pin needle bearing. True, the crank is pressed togeather with the rod bearing and special thrust washers and must be alighned perfectly.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is what I thought, but I am still greeeeeen with small engine stuff. I am going to pick up a new needle bearing for the new piston.

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha