lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
shootnmiss09
Not Yet Wild

Default Getting 1984 Running

Hi-

I just got my first golf cart, and from what I have gathered so far from researching a little is, that is an 1984 EZGO Model, with a EC25-2PG 244cc motor. This is my first golf cart, so I may need some help!

What I have is I turn the key on, choke it, and the starter tries to spin it over, it moves slightly forward and that is really all it does. Where should I start with this project? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I have read a few older posts, and some people recommend eliminating the oil reservoir system, and premixing the gas and oil? What is the point of this?

Thanks
shootnmiss09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Getting 1984 Running

The oil injector is not reliable. When it fails, you will not know until the engine is destroyed.

If the cart tries to move when the starter turns, it sounds like the drive clutch is stuck in the closed position. Just sitting there, your belt should be loose, and floppy.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
shootnmiss09
Not Yet Wild

I had a buddy over that is quite knowledgeable with small engines. We got the engine tore out, and find out the piston, rings, and jug are shot! So I will be ordering some new ones. I am going to get rid of the oil injection system. What will the mix ratio be for my gas?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I believe after a fresh rebuild the first tank is 40:1. After that it's 128:1. 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Plug the hole in the banjo fitting for the oil injector.

Rings go with the bevel up. There are alignment pins in the ring grooves.

Piston goes in with the square port facing the intake side.

May as well change the crankshaft seals, and check both diaphragms in your fuel pump while it is apart. Those are all of the major problems that people have after a rebuild.

You would be surprised how many people put the piston in backwards.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I believe after a fresh rebuild the first tank is 40:1. After that it's 128:1. 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Plug the hole in the banjo fitting for the oil injector.

Rings go with the bevel up. There are alignment pins in the ring grooves.

Piston goes in with the square port facing the intake side.

May as well change the crankshaft seals, and check both diaphragms in your fuel pump while it is apart. Those are all of the major problems that people have after a rebuild.

You would be surprised how many people put the piston in backwards.
SQUARE HOLE FACES INTAKE!!!

Did I emphasize that enough?

If not it'll run just enough to really tick you off and make you curse and throw tools while you chase what appears to be a fuel delivery problem. Also, the beveled side of the rings which go up are marked with an "R"

Good luck with the rebuild!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Shootinmiss09,.... welcome to the forum. You'll have questions, we'll have answers. If we dont have answers, we'll conspire amung ourselves and make something up. , just kidding, we'll help you through that rebuild. Many people come on the forum with " I just bought a cart" issue.... thats what we're here for.

OH and by the way, the square hole on the piston, it goes toward the intake!
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
shootnmiss09
Not Yet Wild

Great news guys! Got the piston, and new jug today, got it all installed tonight, and cart is up and running very good! I just have a few bugs I need your help to work out tho!

Picture 1, the black cover that goes over the part of the clutch (black cover is not in picture), it is missing the three bolts that hold it on. I was hoping you guys could tell me what size bolts these are so I can get some new ones

Also in picture 1, the piece that goes towards the clutch, I think it has something to do with brakes? It has a cable hooked to it, and the cable goes towards the carb? The cable is not hooked up on the other end, I don't know where it goes? What does this mechanism do?

And the golf cart brakes are not working very well, I don't know if what I previously listed has something to do with it? If not, what should I start with checking?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This manual will show you how to adjust the brakes.

The cable that is on the lever behind the muffler goes to the carburetor. It's part of the governor system. Get rid of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
shootnmiss09
Not Yet Wild

I took the cart for a ride, I think the clutch may be sticking but was wondering what you guys think? I hopped on to go, and it was turning over, but wasn't really moving. It kind of hopped a little and that was it. In forward and reverse. I tapped on clutch casing lightly and it started working?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
shootnmiss09
Not Yet Wild

I looked a little closer, found that the drive clutch is sticking in the run position so the belt stays tight. The cart wont start obviously when its stuck like this. I tapped on it with a rubber mallet and it eventually let loose. But this is something I need to fix as it has already happened a few times. How to I remove clutch? What should I do?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO