lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
palmerct
Not Yet Wild

Default G22A - engine / exhaust noise reduction

I have an '06 G22a and recently put in a decent car stereo with 2 Yamaha indoor/outdoor speakers in the rear and 2 Kenwoods mounted in the front overhead tray. It sounds pretty good but I have to crank it up so loud the neighbors are hearing me as I come down the street! It already had some 3/4" foam around the engine compartment walls so I also put a piece of 1" foam under the seat (held in place by the seat cover straps) and that seems to have helped somewhat -- but not anywhere near what I had hoped. Most of the noise seems to be coming from the exhaust which exits out the side and also up through the brake/gas petal holes.

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with other noise reduction techniques - e.g. wrapping the muffler canister with header wrap, redirecting the exhaust, other 3rd party mufflers, additional insulation, etc. I live in a golf cart community so it's a daily driver that I spend a lot of time in -- not only going to the golf courses but also pretty much everywhere else since all the stores, restaurants, etc. are golf cart accessible.

Thoughts???
palmerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G22A - engine / exhaust noise reduction

I was wondering if one of those aftermarket quiet mufflers used on ATVs used for hunting would cut the exhaust noise. I found them on Amazon and they appear to have adapters for a lot of applications. Between using a lot of that sound deadening foam rubber to line the engine compartment and seat underside, I wonder if I could add one of these mufflers to take the noise down the last bit needed to make it pleasant.

I know I may never reach electric cart noise levels, but if I could get close, it would be a nice alternative to charging/buying/servicing batteries.
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Maybe try a two stage muffler? Use the stock muffler, then use flex pipe of a larger diameter than the stock exhaust to a second muffler bolted under the bagwell? I know the stock outlet is small and I wouldn't that much restriction, so I'm thinking a larger flex pipe to the second muffler.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.

I was thinking of using the stock muffler also, then adding some kind of secondary muffler to absorb more exhaust noise. Between that and maybe running the final exhaust out the back and away from the passengers, the exhaust may come down a lot. Acoustic (Noise absorbing) foam should take away a lot of the mechanical noise from the engine and drive train. Combined, they might just push the overall noise down to near electric levels.
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

From the experience with my cart, most of the "noise" does not come from the exhaust output. Most of it is air intake (which I made worse, by doing the airbox performance mods) and mechanical engine/drive noise. The stock muffler already reduces the exhaust noise by a considerable amount.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, insulation, muffler, noise
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha