lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Default Motor Upgrade...How-To

I have a 2006 DS that I'm putting a plum quick motor in...don't have the motor yet but that's the plan.

I'm looking for info/advice from those that have done this swap before on how best to do it. I looked on youtube and some are pulling off the entire body, or dropping out the whole axle.

What's my best route to make this as quick and easy as possible. It has a rear flip seat that's covering the access panel (of course that could be removed).

Oh also is this a 1 or 2 person job...on my garage floor...I don't have a lift.

Thanks!
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Upgrade...How-To

I did mine by myself and didnt take anything else apart.
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
I did mine by myself and didnt take anything else apart.

Just unbolt the old motor from below and bolt back up? That’s what I was planning on doing but wasn’t sure how heavy it is or if any strapping or something would help lining up the bolts.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Depends if the motor armature is stuck to the input shaft of the axle. Most slide off without much fuss, but occasionally they’re rusted together solid and need some serious persuasion to separate.

The motor is heavy. Somewhere in the range of 50-60lbs. I think the series motors may be more than that. I wrap a ratchet strap around the motor to have something to hold it up with. I have always worked from above and lowered the motor to the floor once it’s loose. These motors are just a bit too heavy and awkward for me to want to be under the cart and try to lift it into place. Once the old motor is out I put the strap around the new motor, slide it under the cart, reach down grab the strap and lift it up and guide it back into place with both hands.

Depends on the motor, but some carts you need to lower the axle down so the motor will clear the frame to have room to slide off of the input shaft. Make sure you mark the wire locations or take pics so you know which wire goes where.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just did this on my 99 DS, I removed the seat backs to get to the access panel and did it mostly from above as Fairtax described. Piece of cake.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
346ci
Not Yet Wild

I used an auto lift for mine so it was fairly easy. It would be possible with jack stands but I like the idea of coming out from the top vs. stands. She is heavy...
346ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

If your carts lifted, you can do it from underneath but its a beast to muscle it down off and back on the transaxle shaft. Talking about 60+ pounds in a tight area around the axle.

Word of warning if you choose to do it from below, when taking the old motor off brace for the weight just before it falls off the transaxle shaft or you're going to have some sore fingers and the profanities will fly when the motor smashes them against the axle. Just sayin'
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If your carts lifted, you can do it from underneath but its a beast to muscle it down off and back on the transaxle shaft. Talking about 60+ pounds in a tight area around the axle.

Word of warning if you choose to do it from below, when taking the old motor off brace for the weight just before it falls off the transaxle shaft or you're going to have some sore fingers and the profanities will fly when the motor smashes them against the axle. Just sayin'
It is lifted with 23's but it sounds like the easiest and less frustration on my part is going to be to remove the back seat and go through the access panel.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just go from the under side. Jack it up. Put it on stands. Unbolt the story holding it in. I use a large old stiff couch cushion to place below where the motor is just in case it slips while I’m removing it. If it falls on the cushion, no harm no foul. Wobble/wiggle it off shaft. It’s heavy so as it comes off, rest it on axle and maneuver it accordingly to ground. Remove once it’s on ground. No need to remove ace seat etc etc. More trouble than its worth truth be told.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have bad wrists, so I always disconnect the motor in the normal way. Remove the lower shock nuts. Disconnect both brake cables. Then remove the spring rear bushing bolts and then the front. Lower the whole assembly with a jack and pull it out from under the cart.

With a lifted cart it is even easier, if you have some old stock tires. Replace the 23" tires with the 18" and leave them on the axle. Now, when you lower the axle from the spring mounts, it rolls right out from under the cart. Easy motor access. Most times, the bushings need replaced anyway, so that task is even easier.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is easy for me. I'm old.

Yamaha Drive - gotta be done the hard way....
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car