lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 club car charger won't click on

I have followed the steps in the Sticky. The batteries are good. The fuses at the controller are good. I didn't get a full 48 volts when I disconnected the wires on the relay and plugged the charger into the cart. I thought it was the relay and replaced it. My charger still does not click on. Any advice where to go from here? Thank you.
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car charger won't click on

Which charger do you have?

Relay in the charger needs 48v from the Red wire in the charge receptacle. That goes to the pack Main Positive terminal. Make sure that's connected tight and not corroded.

The relay ground side is activated by the OBC in the cart via the grey wire. Make sure the grey wire is not frayed or damaged at the back of the receptacle. Give it a light tug, if it pulls out, the receptacle needs to be replaced.

If that checks out, use a jumper wire to connect the Grey wire to the battery pack main negative terminal. See if the relay clicks on. If it does the OBC has failed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 97 CC DS as well. Had the same issue. I elected to to replace the OBC and just converted to an Alltrax setup with a DPI charger. If your OBC failed you could perform the bypass posted in the stickies and get a new smart charger that will eliminate the need for an OBC. The stock charger should not be used as the OBC is what controls the charger and how it will charge the batteries.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Relay in the charger needs 48v from the Red wire in the charge receptacle. That goes to the pack Main Positive terminal. Make sure that's connected tight and not corroded.

The relay ground side is activated by the OBC in the cart via the grey wire. Make sure the grey wire is not frayed or damaged at the back of the receptacle. Give it a light tug, if it pulls out, the receptacle needs to be replaced.

If that checks out, use a jumper wire to connect the Grey wire to the battery pack main negative terminal. See if the relay clicks on. If it does the OBC has failed.
I have a PowerDrive 17930
Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I noticed the top pin in my charger plug that goes into the cart is shorter than the others, is this normal?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Mine is the same. Normal!

Old 08-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Weezy View Post
Mine is the same. Normal!

Thanks! I thought possibly the pin wasn't making contact. That would be too easy!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

I jumped the gray wire to the battery negative and the charger clicked. I plugged it in and it appears to be charging. I am going to let it charge up and figure out what I need to do. I used a thin jumper wire with alligator clips. Hopefully it doesn't burn up.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

The OBC controls the charging. With OBC bypassed the charger will overcharge your batteries. Monitor it closely and never leave it unattended. Get a smart charger which will eliminate the need for an OBC.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Weezy View Post
The OBC controls the charging. With OBC bypassed the charger will overcharge your batteries. Monitor it closely and never leave it unattended. Get a smart charger which will eliminate the need for an OBC.

Thanks. I was able to get it to charge up to 59 volts yesterday before I unplugged it to go to bed. Reading the stickies there is a lot of info, kind of almost too much. It's easy to get lost. To eliminate the OBC on this cart I would disconnect the gray wire at the yellow fuse holder and run that wire to the battery pack negative. Is that it? I don't see the 6 pin wire connector on my cart that seems to come up in most all posts about bypassing the OBC. With the gray wire disconnected and run to the pack negative I am ok to run a new smart charger, correct? My cart is a model A9731-59138. Thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car