lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Key and tumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
a simple hidden toggle on the key switch wire would be much simpler ….. and smaller....and cheaper....
You can't fully isolate the battery pack with a toggle switch. Yes, you can replicate the key switch but I'm talking about switching the whole pack off (the one I showed is a 500A battery isolation switch with a removable key).
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The problem with a kill switch is that it’s a PITA if you’re jumping in & out of the cart all day & you need to do that extra step each time. It’s also not very user friendly if you lend the cart out to anyone. I’m a much bigger fan of Tahoe’s uncommon key suggestion, especially if you have more than one cart.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
The problem with a kill switch is that it’s a PITA if you’re jumping in & out of the cart all day & you need to do that extra step each time. It’s also not very user friendly if you lend the cart out to anyone. I’m a much bigger fan of Tahoe’s uncommon key suggestion, especially if you have more than one cart.
Absolutely, that's the best solution for making it more secure without altering the useability. My other suggestion is for more security if you're not satisfied with an uncommon key that isn't particularly uncommon. It also provides a way of completely isolating the batteries in case of a major short circuit.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are very few automotive style key switches that will work for a golf cart, not because of size or number of wires, but because MOST automotive switches have separate key cylinders, and the assembled Key cylinder and ignition switch tend to be very large.

For a two wire switch you can use literally any switch you want, but in general the simplest keyed switches (ATV, mower, UTV, etc.) still have common keys. They may be less common than a club car blade key, but they can quite often still be defeated by a screwdriver.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Absolutely, that's the best solution for making it more secure without altering the useability. My other suggestion is for more security if you're not satisfied with an uncommon key that isn't particularly uncommon. It also provides a way of completely isolating the batteries in case of a major short circuit.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Years ago a member here used an old fashioned automotive cigarette lighter. Park the cart, put the lighter in your pocket. To go again push the lighter in. I think he eliminated the key switch but you could leave it there as decoy. No one would ever suspect unless, of course, they read this forum.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

where the heck do you guys live that people just come up and try random keys in your cart anyway ? ….that's the issue that you need to address …...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
carolinaguy99
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
where the heck do you guys live that people just come up and try random keys in your cart anyway ? ….that's the issue that you need to address …...
Well populated tourist destinations... kids are a**holes these days.
carolinaguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
More than 10,000 golf carts registered with the city where I am. City was built around golf carts with more than 100 miles of dedicated paths. Kids with common keys take them and ride around until battery dies and leave it. Doesn't take a lot to deter them but if you don't do something you are at risk.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car