lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Default motor broke diff housing

I have a precedent here I put a motor in back in 2018. The motor has broke the diff housing where it mounts. Once I removed the 3 bolts that hold it on the whole piece fell off?? Whats weird is I had an older DS in for a Christmas rebuild and noticed the same break that someone had repaired in the past. Any idea what causes this??
brokebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: motor broke diff housing

I have never had that happen, but I have heard of it from a buddies hunting buggy. I assumed it was stress and vibration with an occasional stump collision in the woods.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
morvolts2
Gone Wild

its a bad design practice to hang something heavy on one end and not support it on the other.
Aftermarket needs to step up and make a brace that attaches to axle tube and support motor at the other end,thereby relieving a lot of stress on the housing end.
Sounds like both those carts have hit a few too many holes,and or done too many Dukes of Hazzard stunt jumps
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Talked to customer said kids were "stuck" in the back field??? No telling what they were doing.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvolts2 View Post
its a bad design practice to hang something heavy on one end and not support it on the other.
Aftermarket needs to step up and make a brace that attaches to axle tube and support motor at the other end,thereby relieving a lot of stress on the housing end.
Sounds like both those carts have hit a few too many holes,and or done too many Dukes of Hazzard stunt jumps
i was thinking the same thing. the custom and car racing aftermarket sells reinforcement for almost anything, yet the cart world builds higher hp hunting buggies with only the motor beefed up

my 2 yr old grandson is up visiting for the week. i haven't watched monster trucks since the 90s when my son was into them. those things are engineering marvels, doing flips and barrel rolls and still keep on rolling with the driver un-broken. it appears the only thing that can stop them is 2 flat tires or landing on it's back like a turtle
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Ok so know its all said and done here are some pics. As I was putting the rear ended back together I realized club car actually has a bracket on the bottom of the stock motor that bolts to the bottom of the diff housing. I would think. This helps support the weight. The aftermarket motor installed did not have holes for the bracket, I am not sure about the others out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C011C64B-0C89-46E3-9F74-0951474F6A7D.jpg (250.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg C2650524-F494-4716-8AEC-F04C1C594C6D.jpg (129.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

You sure that's what that's for? I may be off base, but I thought I read in a previous thread that it isn't used. So far none of my carts have had a bracket under the motor.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think that the bracket originally came with the cart, but is not always used. I'm pretty sure that the three bolts that bolt through the motor to the diff are sufficient (but I did use the bracket when I put my new motor in my cart since it was there).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Motor Mount.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
morvolts2
Gone Wild

support there will do minimal.
It needs to be at the far end of motor.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
You sure that's what that's for? I may be off base, but I thought I read in a previous thread that it isn't used. So far none of my carts have had a bracket under the motor.
Yes. The stock motors at least used to have another mounting tab on the bottom an a 5/16 bolt in that lower hole.

I’ll add that it seems most aftermarket motors are longer, and on many carts that can create a clearance issue with the right side shock mount. Hit a big enough bump and the motor can hit the frame where that mount sticks out. Do that enough times and it will surely snap the aluminum bellhousing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car