lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
-J.,R, & G
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Club Car Resistor Cart Not Charging

Hello all,
I am new to the forum and new to golf carts, but I am happy to have found this site due to all of the helpful information and people. That said, here goes for my problem - We recently purchased a 1989 Electric Club Car Resistor cart for our Autistic son for his 16th birthday : ) (who has always loved golf carts) for us (his mom & myself) to drive him around the neigborhood. We were told the batteries were new when we purchased the cart & everything has worked really great for about the past year or so until a week or so ago. Now, when I plug it in to charge it, it does not click, charge or anything and it will not move/drive at all. I did notice that a couple of times before this that it would slowly creep forward without touching the throttle pedal which I read was a bad or sticking solenoid (unless that is incorrect?). So, I replaced the solenoid thinking that it might have possibly contributed to the batteries possibly draining too low for the charger to kick on to charge? The charger is a Club Car Accu Power Model 13800 mfg. by Lester Electronics. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated so we can hopefully get the cart going again for our son who has really missed it for the past week & a half - two weeks. Thanks so much in advance -Jay
-J.,R, & G is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 Club Car Resistor Cart Not Charging

Hello -J.,R, & G and Welcome to the forum.

In order for us to help, you will need a voltage testor, ie: DVM, VOM or voltage measuring device. (DVM=Digital Volt Meter or Volt Ohm Meter)

First we will need to know the voltage of each battery and the total pack voltage too.

Let us know & we will go from there.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rusty is right!
Your 89 is a V-glide throttle control... You will need to take the cover off of it and see if the Speed wiper arm is coming all the way back to Zero at rest.... I'll bet not....th[I]s has led to a constant drain on the batteries and now they are too low for the charger to see them so it won't turn on.... You must charge them 2 at a time with auto 12v charger until they read near 6v each and retry the cart charger..... If all this is too much for you take it to a shop with a full understanding of what they will have to do to get your son back on the road
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
-J.,R, & G
Not Yet Wild

Hi rusty & scottyb,
THANKS so much for your welcome & replies. I will check and see if I can get a voltage testing device & see what the readings are ASAP. As far as charging the batteries two at a time, is there a certain "best method" & do I need to unhook the batteries in a certain order, etc.? Thanks so much again for your replies & please bare with me because like I said, I am new to golf carts :) and of all things mechanical &/or vehicle related, electrical is my weakest point (unfortunately) but I think I can do this ;) with a little help and some patience. Now if you want to build a custom Jeep or 4x4, I'm all about it (wellllll except for electrical - my brother is my electrical guy ;) & "partner in crime" building & customizing Jeep's. But you know what, I have become VERY fond of our golf cart now! I guess pretty much anything that has a motor and moving parts is my thing (especially suspension systems). Thanks again & have a great evening everyone & I will do my best to get the voltage checked tomorrow. -Jay

P.S. - I love the pics of your carts. Lookin' really awesome!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

keep in mind that if your solenoid stuck on and sucked the voltage from the batteries you just need to bring them back up past the low voltage sensor which i beleive is approx 26 volts on a 36 volt cart.......either do 2 at a time you don,t have to take any cables off but you want to do 2 that are connected to each other or bypass the low voltage sensor in the charger itself.............bypass it plug charger in let run for 5 hours or so and put things back right.........thats the way i do it but than i,m never in a hurry.................most of the time.............................LOLOLOL.......... .................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
-J.,R, & G
Not Yet Wild

Hi shadowman & everyone,
If I charge two batteries at a time with a regular charger, how do I hook the charger up exactly? I may just being overly cautious &/or have silly or stupid questions, but I sure do not want to chance hurting the batteries or anything else for that matter. The regular charger I have has both a 12V 10 amp charge and a 6V 10 amp charge. Should I just unhook the cables from the batteries and charge one at a time on the 6V setting?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Simplest is use 6v-10A setting on charger.
Hook as you would normally to each battery. Red to positive and black to negative. Do this on each battery for an hour or so each then try the cart charger. No need to remove the battery interconnect cables.

Best safest practice is to verify voltage with a meter before you connect!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
-J.,R, & G
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Simplest is use 6v-10A setting on charger.
Hook as you would normally to each battery. Red to positive and black to negative. Do this on each battery for an hour or so each then try the cart charger. No need to remove the battery interconnect cables.

Best safest practice is to verify voltage with a meter before you connect!
Thanks so much
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car