lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Unhappy Wild idea- will it work?

Been thinking about the whole power system to my project cart- an older Western limo with a Mercedes body. It has the factory ezgo motor and a high torque GE, but neither look like they are in good enough condition to run. I'll need new batteries, and the 22" tires guarantee that I'll need another controller with 400-500 amps.

Here's my thought- what if I used 6 7.4v lipo batteries for an RC car? They are meant for quick burst and maintaining high speeds. If they supply adequate voltage (44.4v total) and the specs on power are better than that of most golf cart batteries, why shouldn't I? It would be cheaper, lighter, take up less space, more powerful. The only challenge is figuring out how to balance and charge them readily. $42 with shipping for 4100 mah with 25c burst rates. Plus each weighs only 9 oz for a total weight of 3.375 pounds total and $252 for all. Am I missing something?
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Wild idea- will it work?

Better yet- 3 18v lithium batteries. I could retrofit the cart to accept the packs so they snap in like he drills, then snap them into three chargers when I want to charge them.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

It won't even budge your cart
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
rib33024

Back to the drawing board, Your RC motor is pulling 6.0 amps and runs for 6.5 mins, now your golf cart motor is pulling 300 anps when you step on the go pedal, the cart won't move, and I think your RC or Drill batteries will melt
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
Been thinking about the whole power system to my project cart- an older Western limo with a Mercedes body. It has the factory ezgo motor and a high torque GE, but neither look like they are in good enough condition to run. I'll need new batteries, and the 22" tires guarantee that I'll need another controller with 400-500 amps.

Here's my thought- what if I used 6 7.4v lipo batteries for an RC car? They are meant for quick burst and maintaining high speeds. If they supply adequate voltage (44.4v total) and the specs on power are better than that of most golf cart batteries, why shouldn't I? It would be cheaper, lighter, take up less space, more powerful. The only challenge is figuring out how to balance and charge them readily. $42 with shipping for 4100 mah with 25c burst rates. Plus each weighs only 9 oz for a total weight of 3.375 pounds total and $252 for all. Am I missing something?
4100 mAh = 4.1Ah
Typical GC battery is ~200 Ah = 200,000 mAh
Think bigger. Especially in $$$$ to go other than lead acid for traction motors.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes. you can run golf carts on lipo (Lithium-ion polymer) batteries, but cost alone is prohibitive.
Using your example of $252 for three 7.4V 4.1Ah batteries, you would have to lay out over $4,600.00 for the equivalent of 6 Trojan T-105 deep cycle 225Ah wet cell batteries.

When the cost per Ah comes down from the current $20/Ah to something like the $0.50/Ah of flooded lead acid, it'll be a viable idea.

Like the others alluded to, even if you got the half ton cart to move, the run time for the example mentioned would be about a minute, if the batteries didn't explode.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well said, JohnnieB !!
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO