lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Extremely hot battery post

Any way to fix one? ive cleaned it but I still get some corrosion on one post. It burned my finger when I touched it. My duaghter was driving around the house at half trottle so I guess thats what made it over heat too. The cable jacket actually started to defrom some. Is that battery shot??
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Extremely hot battery post

No, the cable is shot. Replace it with the CORRECT part and the problem should go away.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Or, you had a loose connection.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, the cable was brand new. I replaced all of them a month ago beacuse a few ends looks bad, this end was one of them. All have stayed cool but this one since the new cables were put on. I'll check the nut to see if it loose. It was to hot to check last night. Would a wing nut be better than just an ordinary bolt?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A regular nut torqued to about 15 ft pds is best. If this persists, assuming the cable is the correct type, gauge, and secured properly... there is a possibility that an internal short exists in that battery.

One simple way to determine a battery problem is to move the battery to another location within the pack (connecting to different cables) and see if the problem moves with the battery or stays with the cable location.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A regular nut torqued to about 15 ft pds is best. If this persists, assuming the cable is the correct type, gauge, and secured properly... there is a possibility that an internal short exists in that battery.

One simple way to determine a battery problem is to move the battery to another location within the pack (connecting to different cables) and see if the problem moves with the battery or stays with the cable location.
Instead of going to the work of moving a battery, simply move a cable..... much easier...
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy_hd View Post
ok, the cable was brand new. I replaced all of them a month ago beacuse a few ends looks bad, this end was one of them. All have stayed cool but this one since the new cables were put on. I'll check the nut to see if it loose. It was to hot to check last night. Would a wing nut be better than just an ordinary bolt?
New doesn't mean Good.

Could be a bad terminal on battery.

The stud is actually a hex-head bolt embedded in lead, so a little too much torque at some point in time might have caused a wee bit of wiggle room for corrosion to get into.
Attached it a chart with battery terminal torque specs. The SAE torque specs are in in/lb rather than ft/lb, so the highest one is only 15 ft/lb, which isn't much more than finger tight.

FWIW: I use Stainless Steel nuts and use a nut-driver with a screw-driver handle to tighten them.
I coat the threads with Vaseline before installing nuts and coat the terminal lugs before installing also, but others use a spray on corrosion inhibitor.

You can check the conductivity of your battery terminals and cables by putting a small load on the battery pack (an amp or so) and measuring the voltage between the lead battery terminal and the steel stud. Ideally, it would be -0-, but you might get a Milli-volt or two since lead and steel aren't the best of conductors.
To check the cables, measure from one terminal lug to the other. Again, there shouldn't be many Milli-volts, or the cable is bad.

An ordinary 100W 120V light bulb jumpered across the battery pack B+ to B- will probably be enough load to identify what is causing the amount of heat you are getting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Terminal Torque specs.JPG (61.2 KB, 7 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heat is caused by resistance. Resistance being a poor connection at the battery terminal itself, the connector that is attached to the cable, or corrosion in the cable wire. I would do a voltage drop test from the actual battery terminal ( the lead part ) to the cable connector and then from the battery terminal to the wire in the cable itself. Somewhere in this area you have a high resistance connection causing your problem. You should show 0 or very close voltage when you do this test. Any reading over a couple of millivolts is a bad connection! You will need to have a load on the batteries to do this. Having the cart on stands, partially apply the brakes while cart is in forward with the accelerator pedal partway down. Do not brake so hard as to stop the motion of the wheels. Just a little brake. It's easier with two people, but you can do this by yourself if you're a bit flexible! :)
You stated that you replaced your cables. Are they made for a golf cart and what gauge are they?
Also, once overheated, the cable connector may no longer make a good connection to the wire itself.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks for the replies. I will check in the morning. i'm thinking its a bad terminal tho.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO