lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Talking GPS question. Which one to buy?

I've avoid getting a GPS since mapping in my neck of the woods leaves a bit to be desired and I routinely get calls from delivery drivers (with GPS) asking for directions.

It isn't just GPS mapping either. SWMBO and I enjoy nature photography and just looking at the intrinsic beauty of this area, but we have gotten lost on roads that don't show up on supposedly accurate paper maps. We haven't gotten lost in the cart (yet), but we will be going further off the beaten path this summer and considering an electric cart's limited run-time even with the biggest and best batteries (which I don't have), we want to know where we are so I can phone a friend for a tow home?

I'm looking for something that will give Longitude and Latitude of my current location, Speed and Distance traveled, plus directions back home.
We'll be using it in our cars as well as the cart, but driving directions to a specific address is a lesser concern.

Looking for suggestions on which ones to consider and which ones to steer clear of?

Also, thoughts or ideas on cart mounts.

Thanks,
John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: GPS question. Which one to buy?

Garmin or TomTom. I haven't been in the gps scene lately, but when I worked for best buy, that was the product to buy. Steer clear of any name you do not know of right off the bat
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks.

I was looking for specific model numbers, or series.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I've avoid getting a GPS since mapping in my neck of the woods leaves a bit to be desired and I routinely get calls from delivery drivers (with GPS) asking for directions.

It isn't just GPS mapping either. SWMBO and I enjoy nature photography and just looking at the intrinsic beauty of this area, but we have gotten lost on roads that don't show up on supposedly accurate paper maps. We haven't gotten lost in the cart (yet), but we will be going further off the beaten path this summer and considering an electric cart's limited run-time even with the biggest and best batteries (which I don't have), we want to know where we are so I can phone a friend for a tow home?

I'm looking for something that will give Longitude and Latitude of my current location, Speed and Distance traveled, plus directions back home.
We'll be using it in our cars as well as the cart, but driving directions to a specific address is a lesser concern.

Looking for suggestions on which ones to consider and which ones to steer clear of?

Also, thoughts or ideas on cart mounts.

Thanks,
John
If you have a smart phone, Google Maps is pretty good and free. Don't know about lat/long, but most phones already have GPS. If they don't, it will give an approximation based on cell towers. If you don't get cell covereage where you are going, this won't work.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not really sure if you want/need road maps, but a GPS as would be used by hunters/fisherman may be what you want. I took a quick look on the Amazon site and plugged in "handheld gps" sorted by rating and got a lot of "hits". What's nice at Amazon is you can read a ton of user ratings to get real world input. The Garmin line seems to get pretty good ratings. One in particular, Garmin #60CSX, got high marks. Maybe someone makes a combination unit for driving or off road. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get lat/lon on any of the handheld "navigator" units. In my experience with the units made for driving, they get stupid really quick when you get "off road". Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If you have a smart phone, Google Maps is pretty good and free. Don't know about lat/long, but most phones already have GPS. If they don't, it will give an approximation based on cell towers. If you don't get cell covereage where you are going, this won't work.
I got rid of my fancy cell phones when I retired.

I've got phone service in addition to the regular On-Star stuff in the car that I use on trips, and an old do-nothing but talk type I carry in the cart.

Ironically, I tried On-Star's locator service shortly after I bought the car. They found me alright, but I was in a lake according to their map and they almost called for a rescue.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A nice small hand held unit with go back and cheap.
No maps.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJUBEPMCMAI
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
A nice small hand held unit with go back and cheap.
No maps.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJUBEPMCMAI
Assuming you're coming back the same way you go, this one does "bread-crumbs".

"To get home, use Garmin's exclusive TrackBack feature to reverse your track log and help you navigate back to your starting point."
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a Garmin NUVI Wide and I paid for lifetime map updates it also has traffic avoidance built in so if there is a traffic jam or delay it will recalculate to avoid the blockage and get you to your destination quicker. It tells me average speed top speed how far I have driven it gives me the Latitude and longitude to pinpoint my location within a 50 foot circle. It has bread crumb function so you can follow your path back or save and hit the home button to return. I highly recommend the Garmin line of GPS. I use mine in the RV my cars and with the same suction cup mount on my cart. I got one of those funny bean bag mounts for the dash of the RV that lets me put the suction cup on it and it stays put on the big flat dash.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO