lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stereo speakers

Ouch!
That has a single voice coil, so it is designed to be feed by a dedicated amp.

Three choices:
1. Get an amp for it.
2. Get another KFC-W254MRW and fed one with High level-L and other with High Level-R.
3. Fed it with only one High Level output and hope the Audio Engineer that mixed the music put the same low-bass on both channels.

Whatever you do, do not try to attach both L&R high level outputs directly to the single voice coil.
There will be a DC voltage level difference between the R and L outputs and connecting them in parallel will create a current path that may destroy one or both. (Don't ask how I know. )
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Probably saved me some $! Gotcha!
brownt335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could do this one of over 1000 ways. I've seen a good 4 channel bridgable amp used to run 3 speakers, run your main left and right speakers off of channel 1 and 2, then bridge 3&4 to power the sub. I have run a single sub off a bridged 2 channel amp...

Or just run the mains off the deck and put a small mono amp on the sub, or....

Maybe one of the hardcore stereo guys can chime in a bit on bridging!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I probable should have mentioned there are a lot of variations to Choice #1.

I haven't put together a car/marine audio system in about 20 years, so I'm not up to speed on what is available these days, but the KMR-330 only puts out 22W per channel with 1% THD (50W x 4 Max with distortion and less than full bandwidth), so that's something to keep in mind when you are looking at power amps.

Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm only into home audio these days.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Low frequency speakers in a separate enclosure tend to be called sub-woofers and tend to be omnidirectional. They also tend to be big and physically big speakers need a lot of power because they move a lot of air, so they often have dedicated amplifiers.

Basically you can have as many Sub-woofers as you can afford or have room for, and the person on the soundboard can put whatever he desires on the track of his choosing, but audio frequencies under about 120 Hz are non-directional, so the stereo effect, if any, is minimal.

Sub-woofers designed to be used singly have speakers with a dual wound voice coil so both channels of a stereo amp can fed it without electrically cross connecting the amplifiers output stages and destroying them.

The electrical isolation of the stereo channels in Powered Sub-woofers can be done within the dedicated amplifier that feeds the big speaker, so a single wound voice coil can be used.

When using smaller speakers, it may be necessary to use more than one to move the mass of air needed for low frequency audio. (Small speakers with long voice coil throws tend to "Thump" rather than faithfully reproduce the original wave shapes.)

The RCA jacks on the back of a KMR-330 are pre-amp level Sub-woofer outputs for a powered Sub-woofer or an amplifier dedicated to a non-powered Sub-woofer.

If you are going to use a non-powered Sub-woofer without a dedicated amp, you'll have to use the high-level L&R outputs in the wiring harness to feed it.

What is the model number of the Sub-woofer you ordered?
Many amps are bridgeable, so you can feed both channels to it, and both channels will be mixed for a single speaker output. Even though low frequency is hard to distinguish the source, you still might miss out if you only hook up a single channel.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

What an enjoyable thread Bringing back memories of younger days playing with gigawatts powering my gigaspeaker setup in my old park avenue land yacht. Brown please keep us all posted to your final setup and some pictures would be great, especially how/where you place your speakers and if you box them or not. But dang it man, now ya got me thinking about how I'm going to do with my sound system. Like I need another morsel on my plate
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Will do!
10" sub upsed in today! Didn't realize just how BIG it would be! OMG! Mag. alone must be around 8 lbs.
Bought 160 watt 2 channel JBL on ebay this afternoon to help power it. [I]'m new to all this but getting help from Sooter B and others on forum.
Hope to it all together this time next week.
Will post pics., if I can figure out how!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re:Help with installing Amp. with Stereo & speakers

Okay, Got my AMP in yesterday and ready to install!
My sub. was 10" instead of 8" and too big to put it between seats so i've decided to power the 2 6.5's only, with AMP.
Need help where to locate and proper wiring to stereo system.
Thought I could do this myself but not sure about smoe things so if someone could guide me through this it would be GREAT!
up-loading some pics to help with ideas.
I could remove the voltage reducer , on floor next to batteries and relocate.
This would be good place for amp.?
Need help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMP. Install 001.jpg (161.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg AMP. Install 003.jpg (214.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg AMP. Install 002.jpg (118.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

WOW, those are going to be LOUD poined right at you with that amp behind them! Just reading on my lunch break, I'll try to go into wiring later on if no one else jumps in!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you definitely don't want to hook subs to your highs they call em highs for a reason, audio cables to amp remote wire from keyed 12v source or switch, then your subs come off the amp and since you only have one sub you hook em up mono meaning you hook +r on your amp to + on sub and -L on your amp to - on sub thats how its done, 2 way 6x9s on the rear inputs and 2 way 6" on the fronts if you really want to get fancy I would go with component speakers for the highs and run em off the amp too.... amp don't like get wet!
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO