lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
gregd2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: textron total charger isn't charging

I believe you are correct on the timer. Let me know if you need any more pics. I was hoping it would be something cheap like a diode but when I noticed the relay on the board, I wasn't sure. I'm familiar with some four wire relays that wasn't sure how this one worked. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2955.jpg (218.7 KB, 0 views)
gregd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd2 View Post
I believe you are correct on the timer. Let me know if you need any more pics. I was hoping it would be something cheap like a diode but when I noticed the relay on the board, I wasn't sure. I'm familiar with some four wire relays that wasn't sure how this one worked. Thanks
Found the wiring diagram.

This particular model is a little weird because of the control board and timer arrangement, but here is how it is supposed to work.

When the charger plug is plugged into cart, the battery pack voltage is sent to the control board via the red and black wires that attach to the heatsink (Red) and Ammeter (Black). If the battery pack voltage is high enough, (above about 28V) the control board energizes the relay. Sending AC (Hot wire) to the timer.
When the timer is turned to "Start", Ac is connect to the Transformer Primary and to the timer motor. AC-Neutral is wire directly to timer where it is continuously connected to the other side of the timer motor and transformer primary.

When the battery pack reaches the cutoff voltage, the control board de-energizes relay, removing AC power from timer and transformer.

If the battery pack does not reach the cutoff voltage the timer runs until it reaches the "OFF" position and shuts off AC power to the transformer.

Your charger actually has two problems. Bad diodes and bypassed relay.

The diodes can be picked up at a local electronics supply (Radio Shack) for about 5-10 dollars apiece. The reason the relay is bypassed is most likely because the control board is bad, and those cost about $100 or so.

But that is cheaper than a new charger, or at least one as good as that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Charge - Green Face - Wiring Diagram.jpg (78.4 KB, 5 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

BTW - I spotted the wire that has been re-routed.

The black wirer coming off the fuse, should go to the empty terminal on the relay. Looks like the original wire from relay to timer is still connected.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
gregd2
Not Yet Wild

That makes total sense. That's why it would immediately start humming without a relay click even when it wasn't attached to the cart. It was probably over charging the heck out of my batteries when it was working. I disconnected the white wires from the diodes to get accurate readings. They have a reading one way and show open the other so I believe the diodes are good. I'm only getting about 5 volts dc with the board bypassed as well as the amp gauge. I believe I have a boat anchor but after letting it set outside during a week of rain, what should I expect. Thanks for all the help
gregd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you've got some handy and don't mind me using them when trying to explain where to put test leads.

I don't have any, but I can take some if you need them. I don't mind if they get used for educational purposes. Someday you'll probably tell me how to fix it using the same pics I sent you!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO