lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 4-12 Volt Batteries

Converted my 2007 precedent to 6-8 volts. Very pleased that I did. Many have said the longevity of 12s are not as good as 6s or 8s. There has to be a reason the cart manufacturers got a way from the 12s. Also, the choices of 12 volt batteries are very few by comparison.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
goheelzfan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
Converted my 2007 precedent to 6-8 volt.
Did you you buy a new tub or re-work the old one?

I'd like to have the 6-8 volt set up but like I said in a previous post I don't think I am skilled enough to make the change myself. Of course I could pay someone and by the time I did that I could have bought another set of the 12 volts. That's my take?
goheelzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheelzfan View Post
Did you you buy a new tub or re-work the old one?

I'd like to have the 6-8 volt set up but like I said in a previous post I don't think I am skilled enough to make the change myself. Of course I could pay someone and by the time I did that I could have bought another set of the 12 volts. That's my take?
I purchased the conversion kit. It came with tub, wiring harness, new obc, battery hold downs. It essentially makes it look like a 2008 and up with the electronics on the back wall. I paid about $300 for it. They appear to be harder to find now. I like the clean neat appearance of my conversion, but I would not hesitate to do the conversion in the sticky if I needed to do another.
I understand what you are saying about the cost. I debated it for a while. I ended up basing my decision on many folks who felt like you can get an extra couple of years of service out of the 8 volts. a couple of battery changes will more than pay for the conversion.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
goheelzfan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

How hard was it to do the conversion? Time? Level of difficulty?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Caneiac
Not Yet Wild

I have the 4x12 set up as well in my early 08. I drive about a mile each way to the beach a few times a day during the summer, mostly flat. Make a trip to some stores etc. If i drive it alot in a day, i plug it in. If i dont, I'll charge it every other day. They work just fine for me. I just had the cart serviced this past Saturday, they did a load test and said it was good. batteries are stamped 12/11. My cart has been sitting for the 10 weeks before that. I dont plan on converting mine when it is time. I'll just get some new batteries. If i drove it daily, i might consider the conversion.
Caneiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheelzfan View Post
How hard was it to do the conversion? Time? Level of difficulty?
With the kit I would say it took 6 or 8 hours. It should not take that long, but I read the installation instructions numerous times. Also had some minor issues that Tahoe Dawg helped me with. If you do pretty simple task like replacing disc brake pads on a car or other fairly simple mechanical task, you can do this.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
goheelzfan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info! A lot to think about....
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
screamin Eagle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Running 4 -12s 400 amp controller 8 to 1 gears, 25 miles at 28mph
screamin Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
goheelzfan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin Eagle View Post
Running 4 -12s 400 amp controller 8 to 1 gears, 25 miles at 28mph
How many amps is a stock controller?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an 04 Precedent that I converted to the 6-8v setup. I did it myself using the sticky for this conversion and it took less than 5 hours to do and saved me the $300 for the conversion kit. Very glad I did it on my own as it isn't that hard if you follow the directions from the Sticky it walks you right through it.
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car