lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
NewB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Voltage Converter Questions

I have a simple question for the voltage converters. I want to install one so that I can put a couple of 12vdc power sources. I have a 48 Vdc cart with 6 8vdc Trojan batteries. My question is do I need to put in a 48vdc to 12 vdc converter or can I put in a 32vdc to 12vdc converter just accrossed 4 batteries. I just don't know if this would create any issues with charging or other battery problems.
NewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Converter Questions

. . . it is highly recommended to install a reducer that utilizes the entire pack of batteries, in your case a 48v to 12v unit . . . most people install one in the 20-30amp range, depending of planned accessories . . . utilizing a fuse block with separately fused outputs is also recommended . . . there are fuse blocks available that also have a common negative buss for the accessory's negative wire eliminating the need for each accessory to run to the main negative battery terminal . . . only one negative wire would be connected to the main negative battery terminal coming from the fuse block common negative buss . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . it is highly recommended to install a reducer that utilizes the entire pack of batteries, in your case a 48v to 12v unit . . . most people install one in the 20-30amp range, depending of planned accessories . . . utilizing a fuse block with separately fused outputs is also recommended . . . there are fuse blocks available that also have a common negative buss for the accessory's negative wire eliminating the need for each accessory to run to the main negative battery terminal . . . only one negative wire would be connected to the main negative battery terminal coming from the fuse block common negative buss . . .
+1 that's the only way I did/would do it
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
crash test dummy

only thing i would add to Steve's advice is an on/off switch or wire it to the key switch that way it is not on when cart is sitting
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
only thing i would add to Steve's advice is an on/off switch or wire it to the key switch that way it is not on when cart is sitting
Yeah most if not all of the good voltage reducers have a switch wire
Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I understand that the need for the converter to do many lights, radio, etc. If I was to run just the stock head lights, is the converter really needed? I would essentially be buying the converter just for headlights and I hardly drive the cart at night anyway.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
crash test dummy

as long as they are 16v lights ..2x8v = 16v
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHog View Post
I understand that the need for the converter to do many lights, radio, etc. If I was to run just the stock head lights, is the converter really needed? I would essentially be buying the converter just for headlights and I hardly drive the cart at night anyway.
You can as Crash has said, the only bad thing is you will greatly shorten the life of those 2 batteries.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you don't use the lights that much it won't shorten the life of your 2 batteries significantly! You do not want to use 12V blubs though. They won't last long at all. Better bet is to use a reducer even if you don't use the lights that much.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

My cart is 36v with 6v batteries, so I can easily do two batteries and 12v bulbs as they are now.

My cart doesn't go camping, so not like I ride around a campground and need lights. I only would use them if I go ride to my grandparents two houses down, so even then, the lights would be on for only a 1-2 minute drive.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car