lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
KatJ16
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie needs advice on increasing speed 48v TXT

Hi, newbie here. Just purchased a 2010 TXT 48v over the weekend and sadly I am so slow going through the neighborhood that all of the cool carts are leading by 1/2 block or more.

Batteries are Trojan, in good condition and only a few years old, tires are standard size, no modifications done to the cart... Yet!

I've googled the hell out of the situation and know that I have to transport the cart to a dealer and have them magically unlock the speed settings. I plan to do it this week.

I would love to hear other 48v TXT owners suggestions on how they have increased the speed on their carts. I'm not looking for 50mph here but a smooth 20++ would be awesome. All/any advice is much appreciated.

I'm also hoping there is something that can be done about the auto braking system for downhill as its sad to drive like I'm a 90 year old golfer while everyone else is flying by with the wind in their hair. I'm thinking maybe increasing the rims and tires would help?

Thanks! KatJ
KatJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needs advice on increasing speed 48v TXT

I'm not sure what differs between 2004 and 2010. I have 48 volts ( used to be 36) and 500 amp controller ( alltrax XCT) and 23" tires. I can run 27/28. The Xct allows to turn off hill braking regen and all sorts of stuff.
Just make sure to upgrade the brakes. See ScottyB on this forum!
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well the cool carts might be doing damage to their motors. You don't want to over rev your motor on the down hills. Of course they could have high speed high RPM motors as well.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
KatJ16
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I think the cool carts do have different motors. It looks like I will slowly be changing things out to be able to keep up.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatJ16 View Post
Thanks guys, I think the cool carts do have different motors. It looks like I will slowly be changing things out to be able to keep up.
If you have a TXT-48V sepex drive system, you have a Curtis 1206HB controller, which limits the motor to a maximum of about 4400 RPM, which is about 19 MPH on 18" tall tires. Also, there is RPM limiting going downhill that cannot be turned off and limits you to just slightly more the the max speed you get on level ground for the operating mode the controller is set to.

Rim size doesn't effect speed, but tire height does. You can increase the top speed by installing taller tires, but by doing so you also reduce the torque, so the cart slows even more going up hills.

Replace the Curtis 1206HB (250A) controller with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (400A) controller that is user programmable and you will get more speed without the torque loss imposed by taller tires. In fact, you will gain about a 45% increase in low end torque.

The max motor RPM limit is user adjustable up to 8000 RPM, which is far too fast for a stock motor to spin, but at 6000 RPM your cart will do nearly 26 MPH on 18" tires.

Of course, you motor may not be capable of spinning 6000 RPM due to your cart's rolling resistance (load - or drag), but it will reach whatever the max RPM is at 48V under the load imposed by your cart. Probable in the low 20's.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have this cart it is different than what is being referred to here as a 48v PDS.
I recently installed the XCT400TXT48 control and it runs out around 22-23mph on stock tires with lots of additional torque and the auto braking is optional

See the install here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-upgrades.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
KatJ16
Not Yet Wild

Okay I'm truly stumped now. I took the cart to have the speed released and it made absolutely no difference at all even on a full charge.

Is there something else that may be preventing a running speed of more than 8 mph?

Sad Kat ��
Old 07-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So on flat ground you only go 8mph?

Your sure your brakes are not dragging? And what are battery voltages with a full charge and when your underway?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Cool Carts ??

Are you near Buford Ga?
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatJ16 View Post
Okay I'm truly stumped now. I took the cart to have the speed released and it made absolutely no difference at all even on a full charge.

Is there something else that may be preventing a running speed of more than 8 mph?

Sad Kat ��
Sounds like your controller might be in the "Limp Home" mode.

Have the cart tech check the error codes with his handheld programmer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO