lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #11
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdime_guy9 View Post
Would anyone that has done the lithium conversion like to leave a complete parts list? It appears there are a lot of different ways to go about it, but it gets a little confusing while doing research. I’m want to convert my 36v TXT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is more than one way to go about this. I share your confusion. I am in the middle of doing a lithium build.

From what I know so far you can go as simple as swap out the batteries and your done (other than either getting a new charger or getting your current charger upgraded to charge the type of lithium batteries you end up with). That's a little over simplified though.

A BMS is pretty much standard when dealing with Lithium battery packs. You do not want individual batteries within your battery pack going over or under certain voltages. Doing so will shorten the life span of the pack, at very least. There are folks who do not utilize a BMS, and seemingly do not have issues.

I am planning to go with a basic setup, as my cart will primarily only be used by myself or my lady. So I do not think I need a setup as robust or with the added protection systems that some others on here are using. That's where the personal preferences come in.

Hopefully the others on here, who are experienced and way more informed than I, will chime in as to the benefits of the different setups. Sorry if this post is long winded and/or not adding to your knowledge. Just thought I would try and get others to expand on answers to your question. Because as you stated, once one starts to research this, it gets confusing. Plus, I would like to get more knowledge and maybe this thread will be able to supply a "one stop" place to be able to weigh the different options...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Exactly, there are tons of paths to lithium use. If you are willing to babysit your setup you can charge and balance it for very little money, it just requires a lot of your time. You can go with a BMS that is homemade and easy on the wallet or a $620 Batrium Leafmon starter kit, or a Zeva, or a plethora of others. The options seem almost endless, depending on ones abilities and ones desire to, once again, babysit the pack. I’m glad so many out there are playing with these Leaf cells, it’s fun to watch the different setups and applications.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #13
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I run Chevy Volt cells, so I'm the odd man out. 14S 47ah, doubled to make 94ah.
I don't run a BMS currently, but I do have my low pack voltage cut-off rather high at 45.5V (which would be 3.25vpc if they are all balanced). So far I have not had any cell wander more than 0.01v away from the others after being balanced once.

I purchased a charger with a few different cutoff voltages. The algorithm I am using now cuts voltage at 56.6v. I don't want to go above 57.6v and the max is 58.8v at 4.2vpc.

I do have a chargery BMS module I purchased. I have not installed it as of yet and I may not ever. But I want to see if the cells are still this close 5 months from now.

For me I had the purchase price of the cells and charger as well as the cost of the controller so I could set the low V cutoff easily. Odds and ends to fasten them into the stock battery tray (Volt packs are the same width as stock batteries) and the BMS that I haven't installed. Love it. TXT48 is a fantastic cart on lithium.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I run Chevy Volt cells, so I'm the odd man out. 14S 47ah, doubled to make 94ah.
I don't run a BMS currently, but I do have my low pack voltage cut-off rather high at 45.5V (which would be 3.25vpc if they are all balanced). So far I have not had any cell wander more than 0.01v away from the others after being balanced once.

I purchased a charger with a few different cutoff voltages. The algorithm I am using now cuts voltage at 56.6v. I don't want to go above 57.6v and the max is 58.8v at 4.2vpc.

-snip-
You must have used a little trickery or modified your modules as I have used the Volt and it was 12s/3p for 50.4 volts...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You must have used a little trickery or modified your modules as I have used the Volt and it was 12s/3p for 50.4 volts...
I have a 12s and 6s physically combined. That gave me 18s, obviously way too much. So I made an electrical tap on the 14th cell. This basically gave me a 14s and a 4s. The 14s, if I charge to 4.2vpc would yield 58.8v. If I only charge to 90% then the lifespan more than doubles. My go-to charger is currently set to stop at 56.6v but I plan on trying one of the other algorithms to get closer to my 57.4 to 57.6v desired max.

I have a DIY thread in the lithium subforum. With the "I'm an Idiot" moves pointed out so others don't do the same mistakes. I have not added pics of the new, doubled pack yet. The new connection method is so much easier.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I have a 12s and 6s physically combined. That gave me 18s, obviously way too much. So I made an electrical tap on the 14th cell. This basically gave me a 14s and a 4s. The 14s, if I charge to 4.2vpc would yield 58.8v. If I only charge to 90% then the lifespan more than doubles. My go-to charger is currently set to stop at 56.6v but I plan on trying one of the other algorithms to get closer to my 57.4 to 57.6v desired max.

I have a DIY thread in the lithium subforum. With the "I'm an Idiot" moves pointed out so others don't do the same mistakes. I have not added pics of the new, doubled pack yet. The new connection method is so much easier.
Ok, makes sense now. I just new when I was doing our configurations I was stuck at 50.4 or over 60 with another full module.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium