lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
leapingbuddha
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default l'm back after a few years

l am seeing some solar golf cart kits for sale on-line now.............when l first joined 15 years ago l asked if there were any solar powered golf carts on this site.......l was told no and probably would not work very well......so l made mine anways and have been happy with it........wondering if there are any here on BGW now and how are they doing?????
leapingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: l'm back after a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapingbuddha View Post
l am seeing some solar golf cart kits for sale on-line now.............when l first joined 15 years ago l asked if there were any solar powered golf carts on this site.......l was told no and probably would not work very well......so l made mine anways and have been happy with it........wondering if there are any here on BGW now and how are they doing?????
im doing it... I have a 360w panel I bought as a display model for $90 and use it as a roof. I use a cheap $40 green boost mppt controller. when I had the 36v battery pack it charged it with over 8 amps. I havent had a sunny day to test it with my new diy 48v lifepo4 pack yet but im hoping for at least 5amps still. I will be using it at a campground and Im hoping I dont really have to charge it as it will sit in the sun quite a bit between short jaunts around the campground which only has about a mile of roads. This has been a cheap budget build for me that kind of went farther than I expected, With my other carts being gas powered.

Theres a few others here who have done it and theres at least one other thread on it if you do a search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (304.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart battery.jpg (218.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart dash.jpg (131.7 KB, 0 views)
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapingbuddha View Post
I remember when you joined, and I might have been one of those who commented and probably wasn't very encouraging. But the solar panels have made big improvements in 15 years, and I have thought it might be worth it to my battery life to build a charging station for mine.

I have a somewhat unique situation in that this cart stays at my farm and it's off the grid. I have solar panels for the cabin, and I have thought of buying more panels to keep the cart topped off when I'm not there. Sometimes I go 2 or 3 weeks without going over and it's hard on the batteries to sit and discharge that long. I use a generator to charge it.

I didn't really want to put the panels on the cart; just rig a way to plug the panels to it while I'm gone. The biggest issue is matching the voltage. Did you find 36 volt panels, or use multiple 12 volt panels? Thanks
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:41 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If your cart lives outdoors, then Solar might make sense. It makes no sense for me because our carts live in a garage when we are not golfing with them. A few people here got solar carts several years ago but I have not seen any new ones recently. IMO, it's just not worth the effort when you can plug in at home.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:56 PM   #5
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If your cart lives outdoors, then Solar might make sense. It makes no sense for me because our carts live in a garage when we are not golfing with them. A few people here got solar carts several years ago but I have not seen any new ones recently. IMO, it's just not worth the effort when you can plug in at home.
Leaving golf carts outside in the elements is not a very good idea.
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:05 PM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartMan154 View Post
Leaving golf carts outside in the elements is not a very good idea.
because?... I am making a cover that will attach right under the panel with an elastic rope but its really only to stop my seat covers from fading... I have 2 G1 carts at my campground one with stock seats and the other with boat seats on them and they are holding up fine outdoors but they have only been stored and used that way for 45 and 42 years respectively so maybe they just need more time to show damage from the elements.. If my vehicles are fine in the driveway I dont see the issue other than maybe protecting the seats depending on what they are made of.

I did refurb the one (in my avatar pic next to my old harley) back in 2008.
I really think this isnt one of those one size fits all things... The solar roof makes more sense for some than others. I keep my corvette in the garage. The rest of my vehicles fine fine outside in the same elements where they are meant to be used in. I do cover my golf carts in the winter (im not a savage ;). if they were just used on the golf course or I had lots of extra garage space them maybe it would be different but again mine are for campground use. plus my cart came with no roof... I wanted one, solar panel kills 2 birds with one stone.

and Cooza, no need to match the voltage of the panels to the battery, thats what the mppt boost charge controller does. my panel is 42v my battery charges at 58v. Not cycling the batteries down as much with having them topped off and at a higher state of charge more often should prolong their life.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #7
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Augiedoggy: where are you located? Down here in the south, metal parts left outside rust quickly due to high humidity.
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:34 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartMan154 View Post
Augiedoggy: where are you located? Down here in the south, metal parts left outside rust quickly due to high humidity.
I'm just outside of Buffalo NY. Things rust here too but more so from water and salt spray from driving then just sitting outside. At least that's been the case with my carts honestly.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:22 AM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
because?... I am making a cover that will attach right under the panel with an elastic rope but its really only to stop my seat covers from fading... I have 2 G1 carts at my campground one with stock seats and the other with boat seats on them and they are holding up fine outdoors but they have only been stored and used that way for 45 and 42 years respectively so maybe they just need more time to show damage from the elements.. If my vehicles are fine in the driveway I dont see the issue other than maybe protecting the seats depending on what they are made of.

I did refurb the one (in my avatar pic next to my old harley) back in 2008.
I really think this isnt one of those one size fits all things... The solar roof makes more sense for some than others. I keep my corvette in the garage. The rest of my vehicles fine fine outside in the same elements where they are meant to be used in. I do cover my golf carts in the winter (im not a savage ;). if they were just used on the golf course or I had lots of extra garage space them maybe it would be different but again mine are for campground use. plus my cart came with no roof... I wanted one, solar panel kills 2 birds with one stone.

and Cooza, no need to match the voltage of the panels to the battery, thats what the mppt boost charge controller does. my panel is 42v my battery charges at 58v. Not cycling the batteries down as much with having them topped off and at a higher state of charge more often should prolong their life.
Thanks, I need to do some research on that charge controller. The one that I have on my current panels wouldn't do anything like that.

My cart sits under a shed and is out of the weather. I charge it when I'm there with a generator, but a panel would keep the batteries from discharging when I'm gone.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:40 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Thanks, I need to do some research on that charge controller. The one that I have on my current panels wouldn't do anything like that.

My cart sits under a shed and is out of the weather. I charge it when I'm there with a generator, but a panel would keep the batteries from discharging when I'm gone.
This seems to have better performance than what im using now... it is a boost controller so you can basically make a 10amp charger set to output whatever specific voltage you want from any lower voltage dc power source including a power supply or solar panel(s)

I used a boost controller like it to charge my battery pack from my 30v bench power supply before my 20amp charger arrived on the slow boat.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404153512276
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO